Chapter Thirty | Mutual Closure

Vivian Jones

"You're sure this is the right choice?" Charles asks as he hands me a pen. I look at the plain black ink pen, not impressed by the lack of flair it offers, but nod.

It's the contract-signing pen, only to be used for super professional things; you can go back to your purple felt tip pens in one moment you whiny bit--

The thought of my usual pens brings a slight flush to my face as I remember when Lee Young-min had pulled one out of my hair in the car, our faces close to touching from the action.

Looking back, he probably did want to kiss us then if his confession says anything.

"I'm sure."

"You're absolutely sure?"

"Yes, Charles."

I sign my name quickly and set the signed contract on the coffee table, staring at it dubiously.

"Have you told him yet?" Meimei asks.

The three of us sit on the couch and stare at the evidence in front of us.

I shake my head, "I wanted to make sure I was ready. It's a long commitment. A huge change. We've never done this before after all."

"And you're sure?"

"She's already signed the contract, Charles."

"Yeah, but we could rip it up and pretend she hasn't." He shrugs. "We haven't mailed it yet."

"It's signed. It's done. And I'm not changing my mind."

"Sj's at a friend's?" Meimei asks.

"Yup."

"Want to drink away our stressful weeks and wear face masks while we watch a variety show?" Charles questions.

Meimei and I exchange a quick look with one another before nodding in agreement.

"I'll grab the wine."

"I'll grab the face masks."

"I'll start the show."

We split off into our respective duties and prepare for a quiet night in with one another full of laughter and friendship.

***

"Ugh..." I moan, the bright light streaming in the living room windows blinding me and sending my head reeling as I sit up.

Meimei and Charles aren't much better off as they sprawl across any available horizontal surface in the living room.

Last night we had gone through a bottle of wine each and we were suffering the consequences this morning. A knock practically pounds at the door and I shuffle to the front door and let my stoic assistant in.

"Hey Du Shin-Il," I mumble.

"No, Du Shin-Il talk. We agreed last night there would be no talk of men and their stupid mouths." Meimei hollers, covering her face with a pillow. She wiggles off of the couch like a slug and onto the floor, trying to make a dash for the kitchen, but her efforts are comical at best. "Vivi, I need coffee..."

"I'm on it, Babe."

Du Shin-Il doesn't say a word but simply hands me a tray of drinks. I glance up at him appreciatively, sipping on the iced latte with my name on it. I walk over to Meimei and hand her a drink, setting one next to Charles for when he wakes up.

"You've never been able to hold your liquor, you weenies."

"Asian glow is my excuse; I don't know what Charlie's is."