Ch. 5

He was glad to be back at Ilvermorny, honestly. He did somehow miss camp. He had honed in on his sword fighting skills and nearly fought multiple cabins at once. Something Lou had scolded him for.

When he got home it was even worse, his mother had scolded him and Atticus had scolded him. In some way, Atticus gave him more shit for it than his mother did. Al though, he suspects it is because his mother immediately stopped laying it on him after Percy mentioned he talked to his father. Atticus, on the contrary, just continued after taking a second.

The year at Ilvermorny was already going differently. It was the talk of the school, they have a new teacher. Dolly fanned her face when she first saw the man at the welcome back dinner. Percy just snorted and continued eating.

Professor Blofis replaced Professor Reid. The man had gone insane over the summer, something about a curse that happened at a serious fight. Percy could believe that Professor Reid was cursed by someone, the man had passions about the subject that reached beyond what Percy could apprehend.

The man's classes were actually interesting, instead of the boring statistical ranting that Professor Reid did constantly. The man had swords in his class to swing around with while he pointed at the board, he uses it for everything, tapping on his desk to get everyone's attention. To point at a map or to just swing around.

Percy noticed that he and his mother were always talking at dinner. Dolly still swooned over the man, saying that something about his salt and pepper hair was very attractive. Percy didn't see it.

Apparently his mother did.

After the test week in January, they were going to have a week trip to another school. His mother didn't tell him anything, no hints or anything of the sort. But Percy was excited for it either way.

While most of the students of his year were in the magical carriage, Percy wasn't allowed to fly, at all. After this summer, Zeus was slightly fond of him. Don't think that Percy missed that smile of his. He knows that he is his favorite nephew.

He got permission to take the portkey with his mother, while the rest sat with Professor Blofis. Lou decided to go against traveling with the carriage as well and joined their mother as well.

They had a lot more time before they had to leave. The three sat together as his mother was busy reading the paper and the two siblings were talking about camp. Suddenly, their mother closed the newspaper and looked at them. Mostly on Lou. "How do you feel about being a Jackson?"

Percy could see Lou's throat bob a bit, "Like officially? Last name and all?"

"I thought it was time." Sally smiled, "I didn't want to impose and make it too soon, considering the way you lost your father."

Tears welled up in her eyes. "I think my name has more room for Jackson." Lou said and Sally smiled. The older woman waved her hand and papers shot out from under her book. "Consider it done, just waiting for confirmation."

Lou tackled her mother-figure in a hug. "Thank you." She said.

Percy saw it before at camp. Demigod children aching to have a parent figure, he heard whispers of kids getting abused because they latched onto the first thing they felt any kind of connection to. The whispers in the Hermes cabin really reinforced his slight distaste for distant mortal parents.

Then it was time. Percy smiled as he watched his family interact. When he got back, Sally immediately took Lou out for a spa, something about too much testosterone around the house. It was slightly ironic, considering that she offered to let the two other men in their life stay at their house for free.