Silver Rain

Silver raindrops cascade from the clouds as Luz places her forehead against Amity's— arms laced around each others necks, their bodies rocking gently like the stormy sky.

For a moment, the worries escape her, and all is well—no Day of Unity, no Collector; only her girlfriend held close, the falling rain against her skin and the sounds of her friends laughing nearby.

And for a moment, that worry—cloudy as the sky, raging like a thunderstorm—returns to mind, and her gaze dampens; yet Amity pulls her hands closer, casting a soft, starlight glow over their joined grasp.

A guiding light, gentle and sure, dancing up slowly into the misty, silver rain.

"It's okay," Amity whispers, as rhythmic as the rainfall. "We'll find a way, I promise."

Luz's face must relay her somberness; Amity cups her face in her hands and places a light kiss on her lips, pleasant and assuring.

"Yeah," Luz finally agrees, though clouds still envelop her. "I just hope we find it soon."

And so they stand beneath the silver rainfall—slick hair, wet socks, clinging to one another in comfort—until Camila invites them back inside for hot cocoa, and the gentle glow of the house and warm laughter echoing from inside calls them in; a light in the rainstorm.