Chapter 9

Kris had already gotten a table for them. He stood up when he saw them coming. "Come one, sit. We have a lot to catch up on. I mean we are working on the case and we haven't seen Drew in..." He thought for a moment. "Well, it's at least been a year."

"Indeed we do have much to discuss," Lucas said as they all sat down.

"How did the talk with Rose go?"

Drew and Lucas explained everything. Laying it all out in great detail. Then Lucas finished with, "I think we should try to get Zack out."

"Do I need to point out that..."

"Everyone thinks he killed Jennifer and Jessica? No, I know that. But if we get Drew's boss to explain to the judge maybe we can get him out. After all, he only killed Bella and it was self-defense."

Kris turned to Drew. "Is your boss really on board with us?"

"Yes. He even had us bug Madison's house. My detectives even found her phone and now we can tell who she talks to and listen to her calls. If she calls your boss we'll know."

"Helpful," Kris commented.

"Yes, his boss even thinks I should take the superintendent position when we arrest our boss," Lucas added.

"I agree with that. Full-heartedly."

"Seriously, Kris?"

"Yes. You would be an excellent boss, Lucas. Even if you don't think you will."

"I said I would take it if it was offered."

"Good. The best thing that's going to happen to us is you being the boss. We all know you will never go rogue."

"Thanks, Kris. You're right I never will go rogue. Anyway, did Braden get anything?"

"He put a tracker on Madisons's car. He also managed to bug the inside. Don't know if it will help much but it was the best he could do."

"I agree. Getting a tracker on her car makes it so even if he loses her he'll be able to find her again."

"True. He also did the same with the boss's car."

"Risky."

"I know, but it will help us get evidence against our boss. He told me he hid them well."

"Good enough that the boss won't find them?"

"That's what he said."

"Okay. It's still possible that the boss will find them. After all, he is a detective too."

"True. But we can hope he won't."

"Yes."

"Wish we could get his phone."

"That would help but it will give us away. He would notice as well."

"True."

"Maybe I could get a warrant to search his house," Drew suggested.

"But then he would know we're onto him," Kris said.

"After Lucas lost his temper today Madison might have told him we're onto her and, since they're a team, everything will lead back to him."

"Did she call him?"

"Not yet."

"Then we have some time. Wait! Did you just say that Lucas had lost his temper?"

Drew nodded. "He snapped at her and everything. He even called her life stupid."

"Really?"

Lucas sighed. He had known this was going to come up. "She's so frustrating."