fivefivefive

Gerard wasn't phased by the receptionist's warning, but I was reeling. How dare she threaten us? She didn't know what it was like, living as a fugitive, fighting everyday for HER freedom! What an ungrateful bitch.

My furious thoughts stayed with me as I clambered into the front seat of the Trans Am. Gerard was the one to break my trance and I flicked my eyes up to his face as he flopped down in the driver's seat.

"I've been thinking," he said, pulling the door shut, "maybe it's time we actually did get rid of this thing."

The car seemed to explode with angry protests from the three men in the back. I never said a word, I could see Gerard's reasoning.

He held up his hands for silence and continued, "you heard BLI in there," he jerked his thumb towards the motel, "she's too recognisable."

"BLI think we sold her," Frank reasoned.

"They're not stupid, Frank!" I snapped, still reeling, "this car is still going to turn heads and they'll know straight away that the receptionist was lying because Gee will be driving, right above the huge spider embolem."

"What's rattled your cage?" He asked coldly, then he smirked, "did Gerard not perform as well as you wanted him to?"

I grabbed the nearest thing to me, which happened to be Gerard's ray gun, and flung it at Frank. He was about to retaliate when Gerard intervened.

"LILY! FRANK! Cool it."

I glared at Gerard for a few seconds then dropped back into my seat, arms folded tightly across my chest. When Gerard was satisfied that there would be no more fighting, he turned on the ignition and pulled out onto the road.

We were headed towards the border, as we guessed that is where we would most likely find Doc, since the broadcast we heard was going to be his last for a while.

Everywhere we went we saw evidence of BLI's downfall - they really were not welcomed in Montana. Black Xs had been spray painted over official posters and there were signs of rebellion all over the streets - burnt out oil drums, empty alcohol bottles and cans...signs of a proper party. I was beginning to warm to this wet, drizzly place.

A long while later (and I figured it was a long while since I could hear the stomachs of the boys growling with hunger, meaning it must be past lunch time), we slowly came to a halt outside a grubby looking bar with a crude sign that said 'killjoys welcome!'

Gerard unbuckled his seatbelt and pulled on the door handle; I guessed I should do the same and we both slipped out of the car at the same time. Mikey, Frank and Ray stumbled out after us.

"What're we doing here?" I asked cautiously, linking arms with Gerard. He looked up and I followed his gaze to the killjoy sign.

"That will have caught Doc's attention, he might've been here."

I found it strange that Gerard was claiming to know Doc's mind, but in reality he didn't even know his real name. I didn't press it, he hated his leadership being challenged.

The inside of the building was as dated and grubby as the outside with mouldy wallpaper, dusty, chipped wooden tables and a thread bear carpet.

A black haired man in a grease-stained apron was stood in the corner of the room, clearing away glasses from the square table top.

He looked up when he heard our boots shuffling across the disintegrating carpet and smiled and huge, yellow smile.

"More killjoys?" He asked a husky voice. Gerard nodded. "Yeah," he continued, "could tell by your red hair."

"So you've had other killjoys here recently?" I asked. The man turned to me and nodded.

"Then could you help us?" Gerard asked, "we're looking for someone...two someones, actually."

"I'll try," the man said, placing his stack of glasses back down onto the wood.

"Well," Gerard began, "we've lost two of our friends - one's in a wheelchair and -"

"With a little frizzy haired girl?" The barman asked. We all nodded excitedly. "Yeah, I've seen 'em. They left yesterday evening, said they were going travelling."

"Do you know if they were staying in Montana?" Gerard pressed.

"No, no. They said they were going to try and get out before the day was over. I say they're mad, travelling around the country so openly."

Gerard nodded in agreement, then straightened his back formally. "Well, thanks for your help."

One by one we filtered out of the grimy little bar. Just before it was my turn to leave, I turned back to the man. "You might want to think about covering your sign," I nodded to the 'killjoys welcome' sign hanging above one of the windows, "BLI have been sniffing around."

"I ain't scared of some glorified drug company, ma'am."

I nodded with a half smile then turned back around as Gerard pushed me out of the door.

Once the door was closed, Gerard said blankly, "he's dead."

I nodded; sad but true. BLI always found a way to kill people with an attitude, regardless of which state they were in.