Grey

Morally grey characters are the ones every reader loves. Despite all the bullshit they do, they somehow always manage to make the right decision in the end.

And even if they don't, there's a kind of vibe about them. They provoke people. They make them reconsider their mindset about villains.

They hold power.

That's what I feel like in the ring. Do you know how powerful you feel when everyone in the room is cheering you on? When all those people only came, payed money just to see you kick someone's ass?

I'm having a late night session in the gym with Alex, working on my footwork.
"Come on," he tries to cheer me on, stepping forward and forcing me backwards. I bump into the corner of the ring without even knowing that's where I went.

Alex frowns, then pulls off his head cover. "You need to concentrate," he says annoyed.

"Sorry, I know," I answer, ripping the gloves open with my teeth and pushing them off before my hands find my face.

"What's wrong?" Alex asks, sitting down next to me. "Don't even think about it," he adds with raised brows when my gaze shoots up to him, the words 'I'm just tired' already on their way out of my mouth.

I slump my shoulders in response. "I may or may not have almost kissed Nora earlier," I admit, more frustrated that I didn't than ashamed.

Alex doesn't look bothered by that. He looks....relieved.
"Well," he says, shrugging his shoulders. "I told you I don't like how Diana treats and talks to you."

Well.

"It's not like she treats me bad all the time," I try but my best friend is quick to counter.

"You see," he snaps, his finger pointing at me. "Just the way you pronounced it is why you should normally be very aware of the toxic-"

"Careful," I warn, raising my brows and pointing my own finger at him.

"I'm just saying," he defends himself. "I think you're in total denial, to be honest."

That might be true. But she's still my girlfriend.

Despite their coolness, morally grey characters are still a magnet for bad decisions.

Maybe that's why I'm currently laying in bed, ignoring Diana's texts and instead exchanging them with the girl that lives across the street.

'So have you thought about my offer?'

'Yes and no.'

I furrow my brows. 'What do you mean 'yes and no'?'

She takes a while, typing and deleting a few times before she answers.

'I'm only accepting because my parents are forcing me'

'Well, okay? I don't give a shit about your motives as long as my grades improve'

'I'm just saying'

'Are you? Or are you just lying so that I don't know you actually enjoy my company?'

'Go to bed'

And she's offline.

I smile as I text Diana good night and put my phone away. Right before I'm about to close my eyes, something flickers in my peripheral view.

My eyes snap open and dart in the direction. When I look there, I see Nora ducking. I grab my phone with furrowed brows and a grin and open her chat.
'Are you watching me?'