Nora

By the time Greyson returns, I've changed into sweatpants and a cropped hoodie. My curly hair is tied up into a messy bun and I've opened the window to let some cool air in.

"Feel better?" I ask when he enters my room. I'm sure he'd look stunning with wet hair. His posture seems way more relaxed than before and his eyes aren't as red anymore.

He nods, closing the door behind him.
"Sit down," I order as I nod toward my bed and then get up to join him with a first aid set I got from the basement.

There ain't no way I'd let him sit there with his street clothes on and sweaty. That's why I made him take a shower and change. And surprisingly enough, my brother's clothes look like they are his size.

He watches me intently as I grab wound disinfectant and a cloth. It smells like pre alcohol when I drench the white fabric in it just like my dad always did when we still lived in a scarier neighborhood.

"It's going to burn," I warn with raised brows, looking down at him from where I stand in between his legs. He nods, then looks me in the eyes again.

For a moment, we both just stare, tension building in the room. I choose to interrupt it by pressing the cloth onto his knuckles.

He groans before dropping his head back and his Adam's apple is on full display. His free hand finds its way to the back of my thigh almost automatically and squeezes.
And holy shit was that hot. I bite my lip before I shake my head to clear it. I need to concentrate.

"What about the other hand?" I ask after I've secured everything. He shows it to me and shakes his head. His other hand grabs onto my thigh now that the first one is needed.
"That one's fine. Just a few scratches."

I shake my head and decide to clean the small wound on one knuckle - just because I like his hands on me - and then leave it. One wrapped hand is hard enough to deal with and especially hard enough to explain.

"Where did you learn that?" He asks when I pack the first aid stuff away. A knot clogs my throat.

I swallow hard before I answer. "We didn't always live in a neighborhood like this and let's just say my dad had to fight for our safety sometimes." Maybe that was enough of an answer to satisfy him or he got the hint of discontent in my voice. Either way, he doesn't ask any further questions.

"You can eat your cookies now and drink some water," I change the topic after a pregnant pause, then jump onto the bed as well. "We have to get you sobered up before dinner."

Five minutes later we start to watch a movie and another half an hour in, I'm lying on my side with my hands tucked under my cheek, facing Greyson as we watch TV.

"I know that you and Diana broke up today," I admit, keeping my eyes trained on the TV. I just had to get it out.
I can feel him tense next to me and immediately regret saying it.

When he turns and cups my face to make me look at him, my heart stutters. "Is that why you helped me?"

"I just feel like it's my fault. I mean, I don't wanna bring myself into whatever is going on between you, I know it's not about me. But I know Diana's had a problem with me since the day you moved in across the street, which I understand.

"And I think you might've fought more if it weren't already so fucked up because- And we never even kissed or anything, I know, but I also know you're texting me at night when you're probably telling her you're going to sleep and you're studying with me instead of her and I know it would piss me off if my boyfriend did that and-"

"Nora," Greyson interrupts me, raising his eyebrows. "You're blabbering."

My eyes widen. "Really?" I ask as I cover my mouth and prop up on one elbow. "I'm sorry. I always do this, you know, when I'm stressed out. It sucks-"