33

"Did you ever come out to your dad?" Abel asked as he helped me up a bit of a tricky patch on the trail

"I didn't have to, really. Once he asked if I had a boyfriend and I said I did. So that was kind of my coming out, I guess. Did you come out to yours?"

"Yeah, but it was basically a formality. The vampire community believes in free love. Most try out a little this and that, since we do have forever. We go through so many phases and stages throughout our lives, we generally agree sexuality and gender can be pretty fluid."

"That sounds liberating."

"It can be, but it can also be the opposite, if you're not fluid at all. It's not like anyone will force you, but you'll be viewed as boring. As if you're not living life to your fullest potential."

"But what if you're fully content with not being fluid at all?"

Abel shrugged.

"That doesn't sound liberated. Just sounds like another societal pressure to be something you're not."

"Never said the vampire community was perfect."

I made it up the tricky part and ended up in front of him. "I guess every society has issues."

"I guess. But at least we won't have to worry about it too much. From my side anyways."

I nodded a little and looked over at the mountains. Clouds were going below them, laying themselves there as a nice blanket. It was beautiful. I brought out my phone and took a quick picture of Dave. It focused on him with the awesome scenery in the back.

"What're you doing on your phone?" Abel asked, teasingly.

"Flirting with all the hot local boys," I murmured and showed him the picture. "Look at this one."

His smile broke his whole face apart, almost. It swallowed his eyes, pushed up his cheekbones and that single dimple dug into his skin.

"You're a dork, Gael," he laughed and pulled me close, squishing my face against his chest.

"I think I'm gonna hook up with this one tonight," I said, my voice muffled in the fabrics of his bomber jacket.

"I bet he'll absolutely adore you and fill your inbox with di-"

I interrupted him with a kiss, getting my face out from his chest, hooking my arm around his neck and pulling him down to me. He was so fast to kiss me back; it was like I hadn't even interrupted him in the middle of a sentence.

I felt his lips stretch into a smile. "I adore you, Gael," he murmured against my lips and placed small kisses on them.

We continued our hike when Dave started barking at us. He was not patient when he was on a walk.

"Can I ask you something entirely different?" I asked then, Abel's hand still in mine.

"Yep."

"The donors. The ones you get blood from. How does that work?"