Chapter 25: Damned Rabbit

"Your meaning is, Little Shan died from poison?"

Within the Han family that had remained silent all along, suddenly someone asked.

Ran Yan glanced at that person, about in his thirties, slightly plump, from his outward appearance he looked very much like Assistant Magistrate Han, only his temperament was different, his gaze was a lot harder.

"That's right." Ran Yan said.

Actually she could perform this autopsy in even more detail, without overlooking even a single pore, but Ran Yan was invited to perform the autopsy by Sang Chen in order for him to write a plaint, thus she saw no need to meddle in affairs that did not concern her.

Even though Ran Yan undertook the job of a forensic doctor, but she truly was not some embodiment of justice, emissary of the light, liking this job of a forensic doctor, did not mean that she always needed to investigate to the roots to reveal the truth. Weighing the pros and cons, she still knew how to do that.

Seeing that person still had the intention to inquire, Ran Yan decisively turned towards Assistant Magistrate Han and said, "Assistant Magistrate Han, I responded to Mr Sang's invitation, came here to perform the autopsy, so that when he writes the plaint for your esteemed son it would be even more convincing and trustworthy, regarding other matters, please forgive my impotence."

Assistant Magistrate Han always had a gentle temperament, hearing Ran Yan's clear statement, he could not force her further, lightly sighed and said, "Thank you for your trouble, regarding the other matters, I will naturally ask Mr Feng to take over."

The examination was already finished, whatever issues remain, is other people's family business, Ran Yan looked at Sang Chen and saw that he was still curled into a ball and trembling, in her heart she felt a burst of depression[1], immediately took off her gloves and threw it into the tool box, efficiently wore her veil, with one hand she hauled Sang Chen up, with another hand she lifted the tool box, rushed to the Han family saying, "Since that is the case, then Mr Sang and I will take our leave here."

Luckily Sang Chen was not so weak he could not walk, he still knew to follow Ran Yan's tugging to walk towards the outside, because the Han family was not in a good frame of mind, they were disinclined to mock him.

The sunlight was warm outside, dispersing much of the negative, cold energy, Sang Chen's pale complexion also gradually looked better, barely regaining some of his soul, Ran Yan saw this and threw the tool box in her hands at him.

Sang Chen absent-mindedly held the box and followed behind Ran Yan, it was not until after walking out of the main entrance of the mortuary before Ran Yan took off her facemask and spat out a piece of ginger, she looked askance at Sang Chen, saying slowly, "Really should let the young ladies from the village see your appearance today, after they've seen it all, don't know if they will still be infatuated with you."

Sang Chen's face turned red, he coughed dryly a few times, changed the subject saying, "Miss was keeping a piece of ginger in your mouth? What is it for?"

This subject change was well done! The corners of Ran Yan's lips lifted, "Ginger has positive energy, it can prevent ghosts from possessing your body, coming to this type of place, naturally I need to keep one piece in my mouth."

"Wh- what?" Sang Chen asked with a shaking voice, his lovely p

itiful gaze seemed as if it wanted to look through Ran Yan's black muslin veil.

Ran Yan ignored him and directly turned towards the alley where the carriage stopped at, walked a few steps, then realised that Sang Chen did not follow her, only heard a "thud" sound, Ran Yan stopped her steps, turned her head to look, but saw that Sang Chen actually was lying stiffly on the ground while still holding the box.