Chapter 39: Ambush In The Thick Forest

"Dissect the corpse?!" Liu Pinrang could not remain calm any longer and raised his voice abruptly.

Just as Ran Yan thought that she would meet a forceful refusal, he actually briefly muttered to himself before saying slowly, "This matter, we'll discuss it later."

Ran Yan was faintly startled. Could Yang Pansi's cause of death be merely this important to him? On the surface it seemed like this Yang Pansi had a sudden onset of a hidden illness, 5-6 coroners all had the same conclusion after examination, even if he really gave this judgement, there would not be anyone who would suspect anything? But he was already so anxious to the extent of inviting a Miss like her here. Ran Yan did not believe Liu Pinrang was an upright and straightforward official. In bureaucratic circles, truly upright, straightforward and honest people who yet did not possess any background, could not go far at all, not to mention becoming a fourth rank provincial governor!

After Ran Yan understood Liu Pinrang's meaning, she tidied up the corpse's clothing. After sorting it out appropriately, the whole group swiftly exited the mortuary.

To Liu Pinrang, being able to confirm that Yang Pansi met with violence before he died, was already a very big breakthrough.

"Ai! Ever since Empress Zhangsun passed away, everything is different!" Liu Pinrang who had been silent throughout the journey suddenly sighed inexplicably, before giving Ran Yan a look that said "you know what I mean".

The corners of Ran Yan's lips twitched. She had to be honest, she did know what he meant the slightest bit. What did this "everything" include? And what was actually different? The original Ran Yan's memories of current politics was almost zero, she only knew that this was the 11th year of Zhenguan, other than that she was completely unaware of any governmental affairs, luckily Ran Yan personally was not bad in studying history, and knew that Empress Zhangsun died from illness on the 6th month of the 10th year of Zhenguan.

Towards this Eternal Empress, Ran Yan had the uttermost admiration. Even though she did not feel like she would have had the fortune to meet the empress who resided in the palace[1], but hearing of the news of Empress Zhangsun's death, her heart still inevitably had some regrets.

Liu Pinrang did not speak further. When the group took detours through alleyways and reached the west city gate, the moonlight was gradually covered by a shroud of black clouds, there were torches giving out weak rays of lights all around the city gate.

"My people will escort you both back to the estate, you can be reassured." Liu Pinrang saw that the colour of the sky was not good, and thus spoke to comfort Ran Yan and Sang Chen.

After Liu Pinrang alighted the carriage and gave his instructions, he stood at the bottom of the carriage and drew open the curtains saying, "This old man has not assumed the position of Suzhou Provincial Governor for long, there are many people that I still am unable to place my full trust in, only the city's west gate is guaranteed to be safe. Departing from here to the south of the city is a little further, the both of you have to endure a little trouble."

He paused for a little, before saying to Ran Yan, "Your favour today, I will gave you your reward very quickly. I will take my leave here."

"Many thanks, Provincial Governor Liu." Ran Yan kowtowed[2] slightly.

The side door opened with a creak. Liu Pinrang let go of the curtains and the horse carriage slowly started moving.

Only Sang Chen and Ran Yan were left in the carriage. Sang Chen's complexion was pale, still not recovered from his fright. Ran Yan was rather satisfied with Sang Chen's performance today. Even though he was equally as terrified (as the last time), but at least he did not faint, this was already a good improvement, "You were not bad today."