Chapter 1

"Rose?" a voice called out, snapping me out of my daydream. I blinked hard, squinting slightly at how dry my eyes had gotten from staring at the wall of my cubicle. I looked up to find Joseph, the senior editor I had been working under for the past year. "Come to my office when you get a moment, please" he smiled slightly and turned to walk away after I nodded in acknowledgement. I leaned forward, propping my elbows on my desk and resting my face in my hands, attempting to rub the exhaustion from my eyes.

After a moment, I woke my monitor and reread the last few lines on the screen in front of me. Satisfied with what was there, I made sure the document was saved and attached it to a short email that I quickly sent on its way. "Finally," I mumbled, letting my shoulders relax from the tension I had been holding in them. Minimizing the browser tabs I had opened, I logged out of my computer and got up from my desk.

"What do you think he wants?" a female voice asked from behind me. I turned to face Shea, one of the other interns and the only real friend I had in the city. I shrugged, pushing my chair in and grabbing my work notebook.

"Considering we're no longer interns after tomorrow, he probably wants to know if I'm taking the job or not," I sighed.

"You still haven't given him an answer?" she whisper-yelled at me. A few heads popped up from behind cubicle walls and computer screens. I grimaced at the sharpness of her voice and started walking towards Joseph's office.

"You of all people should know how horrible I am with confrontation," I started as she tagged along beside me. She cut me off before I could finish my reasoning.

"Well, I know that. But Joseph is one of the nicest people here, you're probably the only one of us who could turn this job down without facing some sort of backlash," she argued.

"I don't think they are going to prevent you from getting some other job somewhere else if you choose not to take their offer. In fact, I think that might be illegal," I said as I turned toward her with a sarcastic half-smile on my face. We turned the corner and walked into the hallway where each of the six Senior Editors had their offices. Joseph's was at the far end.

"You know what I mean," she huffed, "Besides, from what I hear you're the only intern who might not be staying this year. And you had the best SE!" she exclaimed, her voice lower now as we were passing office doors that were not completely closed. The pit that had been forming in my stomach lurched as the anxiety started flowing through me.

"I know, I know. But I told you how-" I was cut off once again, this time from a voice inside an office we had just passed. It was Mary, Shea's boss.

"Shea, can you go grab the chapter I just sent down to the printer?" Shea stopped walking for a moment as she told Mary that she'd be right back with it.

"So? What are you going to say?" she inquired, looking at me a bit concerned. I turned to look back at her with my hands up as I continued towards Joseph's office. To be fair, even I didn't know what I was going to say. "Well, you'll tell me about it tonight at least?" she called out. I was in front of Joseph's door now.

"I'll see you at Molini's," I said, as I knocked on the door that stood slightly ajar. Joseph told me to come in and close the door, so I obeyed.

I looked around for a moment, trying to give myself a moment to regain the composure I had lost on my short walk here. The framed photos, degrees, and awards that occupied the walls and shelves full of books that had Joseph's name on them were once things that I was amazed by. This was an office I once dreamt of having. However, after the past year, I wasn't quite sure what I wanted anymore.

"You are allowed to come sit down, you know," Joseph said with a slight chuckle.

"Oh, sorry," I responded sheepishly, embarrassed that I had made him wait. I sat down in one of the chairs in front of his desk, crossing my left leg over my right and laying my notebook against my thigh.

"I'm sure you know where this is going," he started, pausing briefly. I opened my mouth to say something but was quickly stopped when he put his hand up, almost pleading with me to give him a chance. "But first," he leaned forward, looking at me with his head cocked slightly, "are you doing alright? You've seemed off the last couple of months. I probably should have said something before now, but.." he trailed off. I could feel my face heating up, and my stomach was in knots.

"Joseph, if my work hasn't been good then please, tell me and I'll make sure I fix everything. I'm so-" he once again stopped me with his hand.

"No, Rose. Your work has been nothing short of excellent. I want to know if you are okay. Personally. In life. Your health. Is everything okay?" he looked at me, concerned. Truthfully, I was taken aback. The reality of the situation was that I was no longer used to having people actually concerned with my well-being. Once I had been in college a few years and had switched my major and decided I wanted an entirely different career than what I once thought, my family stopped trying to support me and instead only criticized me.

"Um. I, uh-," I paused, trying to think of a way out of this situation. I don't like burdening people with my problems and often used my ability to make my responses wordier than they need to be so I can talk my way around actually giving an honest answer. The problem was, you can't use that trick against people who can do the same thing- anyone who works with literature.

"You can be honest. I know you don't want to take this job," he eventually broke the silence. My eyes widened at his words, my stomach was threatening to return my lunch. Seeing my reaction, he chuckled a bit. "Rose, I realized early on that you weren't meant to work in academia. Your mind is too creative to be stuck fact-checking statistics and structuring speeches. You weren't meant for scholarly articles and textbooks. You're good at it..and I will admit I'm saddened that I can't keep you. But you need something more to stimulate your mind, your imagination.." he leaned back in his chair, taking his glasses off and setting them on his desk. I hung on his last few words, not sure how I felt knowing that he was right on the money.

"I'm sorry, Joseph, I really am. I am so, so appreciative of the opportunity that you've given me here, and I've grown so much as an editor," I stated, not really sure how else to respond to him. It was true, the man had taught me a lot and had given me so many more opportunities than the other interns had gotten. He had become a mentor to me. I just wasn't interested in non-fiction.

"Oh, please. You have nothing to be sorry for. Actually, I'm sorry that I can't give you what you need. You'd be a hell of an editor around here, kid." I gave him a shy smile.

"I wish I had come to you sooner. I have no plans for after Friday. Nothing lined up..no interviews..I don't even know where to start," I sighed, finally realizing just how screwed I was by not taking this job.

"I know a few guys that may be looking for somebody to help them out with some projects they're working on. I'll give them a call and see if I can't put in a good word for you. It'll be a starting point, at least" he winked at me with a smile. Admittedly, I had been freaking out over the fact that I wasn't sure how I was going to pay my rent. I had a couple month's worth saved up, but I'd have been screwed after that. There was always the option of picking up a line cook position somewhere, but the awful memories of the four years I spent doing that to get by in college made me shudder. Joseph's offer made me feel better.

"That would be amazing, thank you," I responded, a bit cheerier this time.

"If there is one thing you can take away from this past year, Rose, please know that it is my support. If there is ever anything I can do to help you, please don't hesitate to reach out," Joseph offered with a genuine smile. I breathed a small sigh of relief.