Chapter 3

The next day at work was pretty laid back for me since I was officially done with my intern duties and would not be staying with the company after the end of the week. Today was designated for finishing up any final projects and even getting briefed on the new ones that the other interns would be working on when they accepted their new roles as junior editors. I used my free time to clean up my cubicle and make sure I moved anything important that I thought I might need from the company server to my own drive. Tomorrow there will be a small party for us to celebrate the successful completion of our internships and to wish us luck on our future endeavors..though I suppose that part was mainly for me since I am the only one that is leaving.

At some point I caught up with Shea so we could go have lunch together, and of course, our main topic of conversation was the night before.

"Just so you know, we totally stole Billy Joel's job last night," Shea said confidently, which made me laugh.

"Oh yeah, we definitely ended his career for sure," I exclaimed sarcastically. Shea shrugged, poking at her rice with her fork.

"Well, all I know is that at least one of us seemed to have an admirer," she replied, raising her eyebrow at me with a smirk spreading across her face. I felt my cheeks getting warm at the thought of Copia.

"Maybe I would have even worked up the courage to ask how I could see him again if somebody hadn't pulled me away so quickly," I sighed, chuckling at myself for even thinking I would have been able to make a move on my own.

"Oh, I wouldn't worry too much about that," she responded through a mouthful of food, "So, are you going to renew your lease and stick around the area, or are you going to move back home?" she asked. I thought about it for a moment. I really would have preferred to stay where I was. I had settled into my apartment nicely over the last year and was enjoying living on my own without worrying about my mom breathing down my neck. Plus, I enjoyed everything the city had to offer: good food, awesome shopping, and great night life (who cares that I didn't go out that often, at least the option was there if I wanted it). On the other hand, if I didn't land a job I really would have no choice, since I wouldn't be able to pay my rent.

"I'd prefer not to have to move back home. I guess it's all going to depend on whether Joseph can get me in with his connections or not," I replied.

"Hmm I have a feeling that you'll get an offer," she winked at me, taking another bite of her food.

"Oh? You sound so sure," I laughed.

"Just a gut feeling," Shea shrugged.

~ ~ ~

Friday morning came and went, and once lunch time rolled around the whole atmosphere in the office changed. There was a sense of relief and excitement in the air. The interns were now free, and could look forward to getting the party started earlier in celebration of their newfound careers. Internally, I wished I could feel the same. Not knowing what was going to happen, or if I was going to be okay in a few months, was never something that I liked.

The six Senior Editors had set up some small decorations and laid out food in the conference room for us. They even had the Director of the department serving a limited selection of cocktails, which was quite the sight that made Shea and I giggle to each other. For the next few hours, everyone talked about future projects and laughed together. A few were making plans to move into new apartments together.

Once 5 o'clock rolled around, I went out to my desk to grab the last of my stuff. Joseph met me there.

"Rose, leaving without saying goodbye?" he said jokingly.