Chapter 3

Ughhh. This is why I hate transferring schools. It's always so new. The faces are new, the schools new, the atmosphere new. Everything.

Does this school have bullies?  Will I be bullied? Welp. Nothing much I can do. Just gotta look tough. Man up self. Naglalakad na ako ngayon papunta sa classroom ko and I'm so nervous right now.

Ang daming tao sa hallway. Parang nakatingin sila sakin. But no that's just your imagination. It's all in your head. They don't know you and don't care about you so calm down alright? Just keep walking and keep a straight face. I feel so proud of myself right now.

Kunti nalang at mararating mo na. I turned to my right and I arrived at my classroom. When I arrived though hindi pa maraming students. Or my classmates. There were around 5 people inside. That makes sense den. Mamaya pang 7 ang start ng class and it's still 6.

They all looked up at me but I didn't bother about them. Should I greet them though? As if confident pero di pala. Tinignan ko ang mga upuan sa harapan at pumili ng perpektong spot.

Yung sakto lang na kita ng teacher pero pag may oral hindi agad tatawagin. At pag magtataas naman ng kamay ay kita agad.

Para na ren isipin ng iba na matalino ako 'ket di naman. Kase sa bokabularyo ng iba dahil lang uupo sa harap matalino agad. If I knew anyone then sa likod talaga ako uupo. Pero minsan dun uupo yung mga mean girls.

Kaya wag na. Napagdesisyonan ko na magpa music nalang. I fished out my phone along with my headphones and put my playlist on shuffle.

May iba na ring students na dumadating and some even said good morning. Of course nag good morning den ako. Isipin pa nila na mataray ako. Yung isa ang taas niya. Something my height could never reach.

7:30 na at ang liit pa ng bilang ng mga tao na dumarating. Mamaya pato 7:50 dadami. At medjo wala pang umuupo dito sa harap. Meron sa second-row pero dito ako pa lang talaga.

I can also hear muffled sounds. I guess they're talking na. I guess magkakilala na sila noon pa lang. Schoolmates na sila eh. Ako lang tong transferee. Ugh, I miss my friends.

Why did we have to move pa kasi? I could stay behind pa naman at our old place and continue my studies there. But we just had to move out right before I turn Grade 10. Ugh.

'Em we're moving so expect na you'll transfer for Grade 10.' Mom said.

'But Mom I could just stay and finish Grade 10 here. I can take care of myself, Mom.' I answered her.

'I know hon, but we need to move out and you need to come. I'm sorry to do this to you but sa probinsya tayo lilipat. What if something happens to you? Sino tatakbo agad at aasikasuhin ka?' I looked down at my plate knowing na wala akong masasagot sakanya.

'I know you're strong and capable anak but we need to go to your Grandpa's place. No one's taking care of that place.' Grandpa's already passed away and the old mansion is already abandoned.

I understand what Mom meant and I hate that she's right and there's nothing I can do about it.

Monthly the caretaker comes to clean but that's not enough. If not taken care of well baka masira. I sighed and looked down at my plate. Slowly losing my appetite just thinking about leaving.

Everything that I got used to will be changed. I'm seriously scared. I don't know what this change may bring to me. Will it change me?

I pursed my lips and excused myself from the dining table. Mom tried to hold me back but I told her I got to leave early tomorrow so I need to sleep early.

And here I am now in this foreign place. Everything I'm doing is just a facade to hide what I'm truly feeling inside. I'm so anxious that I want to cry. I gulped and close my eyes to try and calm myself. Hingang malalim at kumalma ka.

Someone tapped my shoulder so I opened my eyes to find someone beside my seat. What greeted me was a fresh, new, and unfamiliar place. He's got caramel-colored eyes, a dark contrast to his dark and bushy brows, and his jet-black hair sleeked back.

I looked at him confused and he was moving his lips but I can't hear a word. Then remembered I was wearing my headset. 

'Pardon can you please repeat what you said.' then I showed him my headset. That's when he realized that I was wearing it. 'I was wondering if this seat's taken?' he then asked.

I looked at the seat beside me and contemplated if I lie that it was already taken. But what's the harm in letting him sit beside me right? I'm sure the teachers will create a seating arrangement.

I looked back at him and shook my head. Not saying a word again. I was about to put on my headset again when he asked another question. 'You don't mind me sitting here right?'

I shook my head again and said 'No.' and went back to doing my own business. He then sat beside me and made himself comfortable. I closed my eyes and pretended to sleep so he wouldn't bother me but he tapped my shoulders.

I pursed my lips and looked at him. He signaled that I take off my headset. So I did and asked him what. He reached out his hands and I looked at it confused as to why he was doing so. 'I'm Theo. Theo Gomez.' he smiled at me.

I bit my lip and accepted his hands. They were warm like his smile. 'Ember Medoza.' and I smiled back at him. So relieved to finally make a friend in this unfamiliar place.

Ever since we moved here I haven't been able to meet or talk to anyone my age since the vicinity of Lolo's mansion is surrounded by flowers that seemed not to end.

Although the house's not been taken care of much,  Lolo's field has maintained its beauty thanks to Uncle's strict care of it. He's the one managing Lolo's hacienda since Mom's the one taking care of the company.

The person I was able to talk to that was closest to my age was the caretaker's son but he was about to go to college.

His presence was like the sun that peeked through the dark clouds that were looming over me. Bathing me with his warmth. It was like a much-needed warmth after a long tortuous journey.

            -A beautiful weather to go exploring these warm waters.