Home, What Now?

"You're not taking him" 

I turned and there was Gordie holding Chris's gun and pointing it at Ace.

Ace's eyes flashed a sense of surprise. In all honesty, I was also surprised but also relieved to see Gordie shoot a gun. 

"C'mon kid, just give me the gun before you take your foot off."

Nobody moved.

Ace continued, "You ain't got the sack to shoot a woodchuck." 

By this point, Ace still had his hand on Chris's wrist, Charley still holding me, but Chris and I never let each other go. 

"Move away Ace. I'll kill you I swear to God"

"C'mon Lachance, gimme the gun" Ace started as he slightly back from Chris. With this Charley softly let go of me. Chris, with our hands intertwined, lightly pulled me in Gordie's direction. 

"C'mon you must have some of your brother's good sense."

Suddenly filled with rage, I was going to move toward Ace until I heard Gordie,

"Suck my fat one you cheap dime-store hood"

I would laugh but the situation was way too tense for anyone to find amusement right now.

"Are you going to shoot us all?"

"No Ace, just you"

Ace shifted his vision from Gordie to me

"Rose?"

"If he doesn't shoot, I will"

I said, looking Ace in the eyes, challenging him once again

Ace's eyes filled with many emotions besides rage. Possibly some hurt or betrayal, but defeat was the most prominent. 

"We're gonna getcha for this"

Chris spoke up, "Maybe you will, maybe you wont"

"Oh we will. We're not gonna forget this if that's what you think. This is big time baby"

"Oh and Ace," Gordie started, "Rose is MY sister"

With that Ace and the rest of the Cobras walked back to their car and drove off.

"Suck my fat one? Who ever said you had a fat one?" asked Chris in a relieved and amused tone.

I just made a face at him.

"Biggest one in four counties" said Gordie smugly.

"Eww, you guys are gross" I said laughing but still making a face

Gordie moved to put the gun back and Chris got close to my ear.

"I know you don't think I'm gross" he whispered smirking at me

All I could do was smile back until I heard Vern

"Are we gonna take him?"

At this point, we all turned to look at Henry. I felt like I had lost my morals. Blindsided by the idea of being in the paper and on the radio, not to mention an adventure with my bestfriends. I hadn't thought through how horrible the situation was. 

"No, we're not" replied Gordie

"But we came all this way," replied Teddy, and continued in a sadder tone, "We're supposed to be heroes."

While they were talking, I realized how different Teddy and Chris really were. Many people say they have similar personalities, but if you look closer you see just how much they contrast. Chris helped Gordie right away by moving Henry's body and even stayed with him during the heat of trouble. Teddy ran at the first sign of danger and still wanted to consider himself a "hero" by purposefully coming out to find the dead body of someone we knew. We decided to make an anonymous phone call, begrudgingly to Teddy's opposition.