There Once Was A Boy

The wind was evil. It was so violent here. Almost like it was hunting him. Like it was a massive monster trying to tear him away from this world and eat him whole. Rip him to shreds and leave him to die. That was what it was like to live here. Every day seemed to be a another struggle.

The wind picked him up from the ground and began to thrash him around. His body was crying out in pain as he tried to breathe. Why couldn't he breathe?

???: Oscar!

The boy's eyes shot up as he gasped for air. He sat up in a panic only to be met by a larger man. His father. The boy rubbed his eye before he noticed the man was just staring at him.

Boy: What?

???: What do you mean "what"? There's nothing you're supposed to be doing this morning?

The boy sat there. He groaned.

Boy: I don't know what you're talking about, dad.

The man lifted the alarm clock he was holding. The boy looked at the time, suddenly realized what the problem was.

Boy: 8:45?

Man: That's right. 8:45. You know who else knows what time it is? Seven different people waiting for their papers because my son is a lazy slacker!

He threw the clock past the boy. It collided with a framed picture which broke and fell to the floor. The boy protected his face from the glass before looking at the picture. It was of a woman he never met. She was beautiful and her smile always made him feel what little joy he could find in this place.

Boy: I-I'll fix it.

Man: You said you were ready for this job and the responsibility that came with it.

Boy: I was. I mean, I am.

Man: Then why are you here arguing with me instead of getting off your ass and getting to work? If I have to be the only one paying bills you ain't eating.

He didn't even spare his son another look. He simply left the room. It wasn't to let the boy get ready, it was so he wouldn't have to look at him anymore. Now alone, the boy let out a sigh. He hated the wind.

Once he was dressed and snuck a slice of bread for breakfast, he hurried outside. This boy was Oscar Zoroaster Phadrig Isaac Norman Henkle Emmannuel Ambroise Diggs. Oscar worked just as well.

Oscar: Okay. 4 hours late. That's not too bad.

He got his bike and his bag to hurry and get his job done

He got his bike and his bag to hurry and get his job done. He pedaled as fast as he could to deliver the late papers. He was sure these people could survive a day without reading about how their cottage cheese could be slowly killing them.

Kansas was an empty state, but his home was even more empty, if that was possible. He knee everyone by name and he was probably the only one his age here. There were some younger kids, but they were all still single digits. Oscar was already 14, so he couldn't really play with them. He needed to work and get money and get out of here.