Chapter Twenty Two

Kaneki POV

I defeated him. Once and for all!
I stand up and start walking, he really got me good... I hold my stomach and blood runs down my hand. "I will.." I leant up against the wall "save you all.. I will. Save." I fell to the ground, I try moving but there is no use. Not yet anyways. "You all.."

...
My body finally got back up. I can do this. "I will save you!!" Mind flashes back to the memories with touka, hide and everyone. We are laughing, smiling and hinami was so young. But now.. Look at this terrible place. Grey skies, smoke, war, death. Nothing but sadness and revenge lays upon Tokyo. This is what happens when you fight back! Revenge is worthless!! I should have realised this earlier..
I started walking, I need to get to that coffee shop. I finally reach my destination, it's never looked so dull and sad. The bell, was even sad. We'll angry more like it.
"Its surprisingly hard to make coffee, isn't it?" a familiar voice came from the darkness.
I kept walking and a light appeared.
"Yo, kaneki" hide smiled.
Hide! HIDE!!
"I missed you!" I walk up to him, weakly but trying not to show it and I kiss his cheek.
"I missed you too, lets makes some coffee shall we?"
"Yes!"
We go up to the bench and start making coffee together. I showed him a technique that touka taught me. He's a very fast learner, he picked up the technique in no time. This is the most I've ever felt happy in weeks, thank you hide.

...

Touka POV

I run through the snow, I stop and try catching my breathe. As I breathe it turns into mist, I need to find kaneki and hide!
"Stupid sister" he whispered high above.
I keep running as fast as I can, I have a feeling that they'll be at the coffee shop..

...

Kaneki POV

"So, why are you not afraid of me? I am a monster after all"
"I knew you were a ghoul all along.."
I look up at hide, he knew.. All along..
"I still love you, you know that right?"
"... Yes.. I love you too" my cheeks blush slightly and he smiles.
"Thank you for the coffee"
"Anytime!"
We stood up and I bring him in for a hug, I feel his body weaken and hide drops to the floor.
"HIDE! HIDE?!"
"K-kaneki.. I love you.."
I kiss his lips and I pick him up. "Please.. Take me home.."
That's when I knew. This was reality. I thought that this could never be true but life isn't a Nintendo game, you only get one life.
His body becomes lifeless in my arms, I hold him close. Blood, runs from my eye.. A tear..
As I walk I notice that he was bleeding all along.. Just like I am.
Hide.. HIDE!! I walk out of the coffee shop and I walk past touka. The coffee shop sets on fire and touka's face drops, she starts crying.
"I'll take you home.."
I keep walking and walking. "Kaneki!!" I ignore her.
"Leave him alone!" Someone says and stops her. She steps back and gives in.
I feel something, a book?
I stop and take it out from hide's pocket.

'Dear journal,
If I die.. The place I want to die is with kaneki, he is home to me... If it ever comes up to it I will say "take me home" but really, home is with him. In his arms. He is my home'

I shut the journal and put it back in his pocket, more tears run down my face. My stomach hurts but I can't go on.
The helicopters wind blew my hair backwards and the light shone on us from above.
I guess.. This is the end.
.. Goodbye hide, goodbye me.

Narrators note: I finally finished it! Comment your thoughts about it, I will start a new book right away. I enjoyed writing this and to be honest I cried a little during the process, of we'll. ~ stay strong and cute ~
Goodbye for now!
- Rirī Kurosu