2.

☂ CHAPTER 2 ☂

From the day she was born, Y/n had nothing.

Growing up on the streets of NYC turned her into what she believed was a monster. Her eyes didn't shine the way others did. Her hands were scarred to the point where she never took off her thick black gloves. They were for her motorcycle, which she had gotten after beating a man during her street fighting days.

As she stood in the office, she realized the blonde across from her had the same look in his eyes as everyone who mistreated her did. He had groaned at the thought of having a partner. He stared at her with disgust and hatred. It felt like she was staring at her brother. Or her mother. Or her father.

After Y/n had claimed they had a case, the room went quiet. It was only broken when Hoseok's partner, Seulgi, entered. Her dark locks were tied into a thick ponytail, and her blazer was fancier than the other three in the room combined. Her eyes expanded, and her rose lips parted as if to speak. Y/n's new partner, Park Jimin, held up his hand.

"Don't bother."

Seulgi nodded and went to her station. The computer flicked on, and it gave much-needed light to the tiny space. There was only one light in the ceiling, and it was mediocre at best. It was as yellow and murky as the wallpapers that had mold stains on them.

"Well," Hoseok said, clapping his hands together. "You two have fun, I'm gonna go do literally anything else."

Two seconds after Hoseok backed away, Jimin stormed out of the office. Y/n followed all the way to the elevator, which he tried closing before she got on. It didn't work.

"Any reason why you hate me already?" she asked.

"You insulted my hair. Is that not reason enough?"

"You groaned at the thought of me and hoped I was a donut instead of a person. Dehumanizing much?"

Officer Park grunted and clicked the button for the top floor of the building. She had no idea what she had gotten herself into. Being a new recruit was far from the scariest thing she had ever done, but being with Jimin made it worse. It brought memories she didn't want. His eyes were all too familiar even though she had never met him before.

When the doors parted and displayed the sight in front of her, she stopped and sucked in a breath. The top floor was more elegant than she was expecting. Officers wearing much nicer and fitted uniforms were wandering the bright halls with fancy paintings on the walls. Each one depicted a heroic moment in NYC's history. She didn't recognize a single event.

"Where are we going?" she asked.

"If what you're saying is true and we have a case, then I need something."

Jimin brushed by her and stepped out of the box of doom. Y/n exited the elevator as well. The hallway went left and right, but also straight ahead. Jimin went straight, where giant glass double doors awaited. They were open, and Jimin took the liberty to walk through. Y/n did the same, fiddling with the ends of her gloves.

The room before her was circular and had screens mounted on the walls. There were charts she didn't recognize displayed on said screens, outlined in reds and blues that contrasted the white LED lights in the ceiling.

Multiple desks were scattered around the vicinity, the computers on as countless officers sat in front of them, clicking away on files Y/n wished she could get her hands on. It would give her a purpose. The first purpose she ever had.