Letter 11

Zechariah 4:10a Who dares despise the small things...

(In the Afrikaans bible, this phrase feels more like "Do not dismiss the day of small things...")

Dear God, we have become so jaded. Forgive us that we have become blind to the many small things you do for us daily.

We rise from our bed and think nothing of it, yet only have we risen at all through Your Grace. Forgive us for taking things for granted.

We swing our legs from our bed and think nothing of the fact that we have legs, we have a bed, and a roof over our heads to spare us from the elements, yet all of these things are manifestations of Your Grace. Forgive us for not appreciating your love and care.

We rise, take a shower and dress. Yet we think nothing of that clean running water and the clothes we don, yet these things are proof of Your love and present reminder that You are a God of Your word. Forgive us for not paying attention to your faithfulness.

We make breakfast, eat it and go out into the world without appreciating the blessing of the food we have eaten or thanking You for providing it, for all we have comes from Your Hand. Forgive us for our unfaithfulness.

(Matthew 6:25 "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes?)

We expect miracles to be these great things. That job we wanted, that dream we are chasing, and yet we forget the many things in our day that are already a blessing from Your hand. Forgive us for our greed.

We go to work, go to town or church, and do not consider the Grace of Your protection as we navigate this dangerous world. We go about our daily toil, blissfully unaware of how much protection we need from everyday things and from the unseen. Forgive us for our lack of consideration and understanding.

We may never know how many times a day you save us from catastrophe, Lord. You provide according to Your word, and we pay no attention to Your Love. Forgive us, Lord, our arrogance and entitlement.

(Isaiah 46:4 Even to your old age and grey hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you, and I will carry you; I will sustain you, and I will rescue you.)

El Shaddai, the Lord God Almighty, is a God of his word. He provides for us every day. He is there for us without fail. He guards over us in every moment, and he does not slumber or sleep.

Forgive us, Lord, for not pondering the greatness of your mercy over our lives by listing all the small things, the miracles, we take for granted every day.

We take for granted that for which others pray, forgive us, Father, and I Praise you Lord for all you have given me and all that you give me, in Jesus' Name. I am grateful, Father, for the physical manifestation of Your love in the privileges You have afforded me. Thank You, God, for loving me so much that You have given me so much.

2 Corinthians 12:9a NIV

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."