1. Ambush

There I stood, growing as impatient as ever with my arms crossed over my chest

There I stood, growing as impatient as ever with my arms crossed over my chest. The heel of my shoe tapped hastily above the mired floor while the man in front of me paced around the room, his restless eyes searched the area— scouring every little corner of the room, his lips pressed together as though to bite back his incessant questions.

Though, that didn't seem to work as he began to question me once more.

"So..." his fingers drew over his scruffy beard, his other hand resting on his hip. "Where is Mikhail?" He asked the same question that fled his foul mouth minutes ago.

I held back an eye roll, was this man simply just messing around? Asking a surfeit of queries to cause a delay and waste my time?

All I could think of was how much Mikhail would disapprove of this. How furious he would be to learn that a simple little trade-off took nearly more than ten minutes in duration.

'Do you know what could happen in ten minutes, Reyna?' I could already hear that very gruff voice of his resonate through my head, his Russian accent nearly engulfing his words.

"Rey has already told you," the bodyguard behind me, Demi, took my opportunity to speak. "Mikhail isn't here. He's running late." He took the words right out of my mouth.

The difficult man frowned, raising his eyebrows. "Then I'll wait for him." The man answered simply in his thick Ukrainian accent, putting his hands up. "I cannot believe Mikhail would allow a young girl to be here, and do his dirty business."

I couldn't fathom that very fact either, and yet, here we are.

"Look, Mykola, you came all the way here from Ukraine," Demi elucidated, trying to coax the man back on board with the trade. "You seriously wanna fuck it up because there's a woman here doing a mans job? If we wait any longer, the trade is off."

"No," Mykola objected, "I fuckin' told Mikhail I wanted to see him, and do the trade with him." His eyes were wide, pupils filled with ire as he glanced over at me. "Not his bitch." His head ticked over toward me, again.

My blood boiled, and my fists became hot as I endeavored to control myself from saying anything that may put this entire trade at risk, then, it'd all be my fault.

I felt the man behind me reach for his gun, but I instantly put my hand over it, silently telling Demi to settle down. If one gun was brought out in here, then every other person in this room would bring out their very own weapons, and we'd clash.

It'd be utter bedlam.

"Look, Mykola, I understand your frustration," I said with a small and convincing smile. "You're upset that he didn't complete his end of the deal. But, you know what, you'd be missing out on ten cases of this all because you let one setback get in the way." I pointed over at the cases that held substances of drugs I couldn't even think to name at that point.