Chapter 3

CHAPTER 3 - Amberkit

Amberkit wagged her short tail and looked up at Rainstorm. "Really? You want me to be your apprentice?" She said hopefully.

"Yes," Rainstorm replied. "I didn't think that you would want to be a normal apprentice." Amberkit scoffed.

The only thing I've ever wanted is to be a medicine cat. I mean, hunting and fighting sounds fun, but there's just something about being a medicine cat that makes me feel so good-good like nothing else makes me feel, she thought.

"It's the only thing I've ever wanted," she replied instead, sitting down. "Don't medicine cats get apprenticed early?"

Rainstorm chuckled and booped her on the nose. "Sure, but not you. You're pretty much already an apprentice," he said warmly.

Amberkit basked in his pride. "I can't wait to start training now! Wow, I'll be treating wounds in a heartbeat!" She squealed. Amberkit was very excited to start healing. She loved herbs so much. Hunting seemed like fun, and so did fighting, but there was nothing like a completed patient and some time with herbs. It was the only thing she looked forward to, aside from hunting and fighting, which she wasn't even as excited about.

Rainstorm chuckled. "There's more to being a medicine cat than herbs! You have to do StarClan things as well," he said, dipping his head toward Amberkit. But she wasn't listening. All she heard was the part about herbs. That's all that she cared about.

I mean, is there really more to being a medicine cat than herbs? I mean, I signed up to treat cats, not to hunt or learn battle moves! I want to heal, She thought desperately. I don't want to stick my head into StarClan whereabouts!

Rainstorm continued rambling while Amberkit took a stevia leaf, and wrapped the leaf around the honey and bluebell and made a poultice. She presented it to Rainstorm, her eyes shining. "My treat," she said innocently. Rainstorm sniffed it.

"What is this?" He asked curiously.

"Well, remember that poultice we made together that one time, with the honey and bluebell?" Amberkit asked. Rainstorm nodded, looking just a little shocked.

"I didn't think you'd remember that far back. I guess you really have your mind set on being a medicine cat," he commented. Amberkit beamed at him.

"Thanks. Anyways, you told me that Stevia leaves tasted sweet? Well, I wrapped the poultice in Stevia and I thought it might taste good!" She finished. Rainstorm stared at her.

"Wow, thanks!" He said, chewing on the treat.

"Is it good?" Amberkit asked.

"It's delicious!" Rainstorm's eyes were wide and shining. "How did you do this? How did you come up with this! By StarClan, are you the cat in the prophecy? THE TASTE PROPHECY?"

Amberkit tipped her head to one side, confused. "What's a prophecie?" She asked. Rainstorm chuckled.

"Not a prophecie, a prophecy, stupid furball," he mewed, teasingly but fondly. "It's a composition of words that foretell the future, and it drops small or large hints at what we are supposed to do. It balances running around confused about something StarClan said, and StarClan speaking reason and truth," Rainstorm sounded like he was reciting something that someone had told him before.

Amberkit had heard chatter from the elders in their den about the former medicine cat, Pearnose. Pearnose was said to be Rainstorm's mentor, and a very good one. Maybe he was reciting something she said? Good thing I overheard the elders! Then I would be sitting here confused, and then I'd have to go and eavesdrop! Amberkit thought, amusing herself.