9.

"I still want an omega to be my mate," Xiao Zhan says, gazing at Yibo. "If I'd be given a chance, I'd work hard, to be the best alpha to my omega, so it can be easy to favor me over every other alpha."

Yibo's eyes waver at those words, and he has to grit his teeth just to keep his face calm.

Does Zhan-ge already like someone?

Yibo bites on his lip and hums, forcing a smile before he quickly looks down at his shoes, tapping them alternately on the floor. "I'm sure you'd be given a chance," he mutters. "What a lucky omega..."

Is it the council president?

Xiao Zhan breathes out a soft laugh. "Silly Wang Yibo," he remarks. "You forgot that I have a past failed relationship, a past mate I broke bonds with. How would the omega be the lucky one in this case?"

Yibo frowns. "You said it's because of incompatibility. That means you didn't purposefully ruin it, Zhan-ge."

Xiao Zhan only chuckles at this, before he cocks his head to the cafeteria. "Let's go?"

"Alright," Yibo agrees, following Xiao Zhan's steps.

"You know, there are odds that I just really dreamed too high," Xiao Zhan says after a few seconds. "Maybe it's because I'm attracted to omegas who are excellent, and who can do well by themselves. Maybe it's my fault for liking omegas out of my league."

Yibo looks at Xiao Zhan with a gloomy expression as he follows after him, before walking beside him. "Not out of your league," he whispers to himself, very audibly.

I'm not out of your league.

"Mm?" Xiao Zhan asks, leaning to Yibo just a little bit, enough to surprise the younger. "Not what?" he says, tone careful and sweet.

Yibo looks down, swallowing, before he meets Xiao Zhan's gaze. "Not.. Not out of your league, Zhan-ge," he repeats, grasping his shirt tightly. "I don't think they were out of your league."

Xiao Zhan's face softens, before his eyes widen subtly. "How can you be sure of it though?"

Yibo smiles, peeking at the counters on the cafeteria where a few omegas who have schedules free for the morning are currently choosing their snacks or ordering lunch.

"I'm too shy to tell Zhan-ge in person," Yibo confesses, turning to face Xiao Zhan. "But I told you, I think you'd make a perfect mate, Zhan-ge. The skills, your face, and so on."

Xiao Zhan looks at Yibo like he doesn't know what to say, but he does nod shakily, before gesturing Yibo to enter the cafeteria with him.

They walk in silence for a few seconds, with Xiao Zhan smiling widely and greeting the omegas they bump into while Yibo fumbles with his ID, until they reach the counters.

"Choose the snacks you like," Xiao Zhan instructs, looking at Yibo with a soft gaze, before pointing to the rightmost counter, which is filled with chips, chocolates, and candies. "Thirty snacks. On me."

Yibo follows Xiao Zhan's gesture with his eyes, and makes a sound of protest. "Zhan-ge. Didn't I tell you there was no need to bribe me?"