12.

Xiao Zhan shakes his head, storming back to his room and taking his phone. "I won't calm down, because my scent would induce your heat, Yibo."

"What?!"

Yibo follows Xiao Zhan into the room. Xiao Zhan starts pacing around, looking stricken with panic as he presses his phone to his ear.

"Zhan-ge, can you explain this properly?" Yibo states loudly, reaching out to Xiao Zhan.

Xiao Zhan inhales sharply, flinching away from Yibo. "Stay away first," Xiao Zhan rasps, giving up on calling whoever it was and throwing his phone towards his pillows.

Yibo furrows his eyebrows, watching Xiao Zhan with frustration while Xiao Zhan rummages through his drawer. "Zhan-ge."

Xiao Zhan takes out a perfume bottle, and there's a shiny glint in his eyes as he sprays at the air multiple times, before spritzing more of it on himself.

"I'm not smelling your scent anymore, Zhan-ge. Please, just calm down," Yibo begs, frowning in concern. "Please."

"I cannot," Xiao Zhan hisses, and he looks at Yibo, a pained, helpless gaze burning in his eyes. "Would you just look at what did I do to you?!" he questions.

"You didn't do anything."

Xiao Zhan sighs heavily, before he weakly sits down on the bed like he's gotten dizzy, and buries his head in his palms.

"Zhan-ge," Yibo whispers, walking closer to him. "Why? What did you do to me?" he asks gently. "Zhan-ge, my heat cycle is regular. You don't have anything to worry about. It's okay. I'm okay."

Xiao Zhan shakes his head furiously. "I fucked this all up again."

"No," Yibo negates. "It's my fault. I made you take the sweater off. You didn't do anything, Zhan-ge. If your physician told you not to let omegas smell you, then I won't tell him."

"That's not the problem, Yibo," Xiao Zhan drops his hands on his knees, looking up at him, his chest heaving up and down. "It's that you got to inhale my pheromones, okay?" he says, swallowing. "And it's going to induce your heat. Why do you think I warned you?"

Yibo's eyebrows furrow. "I'm not going to suddenly go into heat just for inhaling an alpha's pheromones, Zhan-ge."

"How can you be sure, Wang Yibo?" Xiao Zhan retaliates, his voice breaking at the end. "It's happened a lot of times to me in Chongqing," Xiao Zhan points out. "You haven't read any forum in Chongqing, so of course you don't know."

Yibo frowns before he shakes his head. "Ge, look, it goes the other way around," Yibo says, crouching to Xiao Zhan's eye level. "Only omegas can induce an artificial rut in unmated alphas," he states.

Xiao Zhan furrows his brows at him.

"That's one reason why alphas are not allowed in our private spaces without a permit. It's even in the material we're given when we enter the institution. You know that."

"No, no, Yibo, that's not—" Xiao Zhan looks down, exhaling shakily. "That's not the same thing—"

"But then even if that's the case, ge, that won't ruin an alpha's rut cycle," Yibo adds. "An artificial rut only lasts for one to two days. It'll only be a little nuisance, that's all. It's nothing as serious as ruining a biological cycle, Zhan-ge."