A Dream Come True

"Blue hydrangea, Cold cash divine, Cashmere cologne, and white sunshine, Red racing cars, Sunset and Vine
The kids were young and pretty"
~Old Money
By Lana Del Ray

____________________

I climbed out of my car after killing the engine, my phone ringing caught my attention. I pulled it out of my pocket and hit the accept button.

"Hello?" I spoke to the unknown number. No one should have my number.

"Hi, is this Athena Castellanos?" Wtf.

"Um maybe... who is this?" I pulled my gloves off as I held the phone between my shoulder and my cheek.

"I am Frédéric Vasseur, the team principal for Ferrari."

My ears began to ring and I felt a little lightheaded as the name swirled through my mind.

Ferrari... Charles... He must be hurt. No. This can't be happening.

"Hello are you still there?" He broke me from my panic and I quickly pulled myself together as I walked to the side office the track, sitting down on the wall.

"Yes I am. Is Charles okay? Did something happened I didn't think he was on track today." I put him on speaker and looked at the calendar on my phone, it's only Tuesday. He shouldn't have been on track today.

"Charles is perfectly fine! I'm sorry to have worried you." He apologized and reassured me that it was okay.

Thank god. I couldn't imagine. I took a second as I caught my breathe. Once my breathing normalized, I started to talk again.

"Okay I'm sorry, now not to sound rude but why are you calling me?" I spoke with a slight laugh, after my almost breakdown. My nerves are in overdrive right now.

He laughed and continued.

"Well Ms. Castellanos, I would like to offer you a seat at Ferrari. You are an amazing driver and I can only imagine the accomplishments you could make with your skill and our car."

As he finished his sentence, I took a deep breath. My eyes were wide and I felt a little queasy. How the fuck.

Is someone punking me, where's the cameras!

"I would be absolutely honored. This is a dream come true. But why me?" I wanted to be honest. I haven't been in a real racing circuit in years.

"Well you dominated as a young driver and I know your racing has only improved. We know your background and the legacy you carry. It's time for you to claim your spotlight. Plus you have a potential teammate that has done more than put in a good word for you." He let out a breathy laugh.

He was referring to Jules, the Leclercs, and my father as my legacy. But why the hell has Charles put in a good word for me.

Once again, where's the damn cameras!

My father and Hervé were best friends. Jules was also my Godfather and helped raise me. I have racing in my blood. It's my life.

I stepped away after everything happened. First we lost Jules, then Hervé, and then my father. It was all to much.

After my father passed away only 8 months after Hervé did I felt as if I had no one. The three men who raised me were gone and I felt empty.

I'm glad I got to be there for the Leclerc boys as we all grieved Hervé and Jules. It was a hard time with many tears shed.

But when my dad had a heart attack and I lost him I just couldn't come back from it.

I stepped out of the racing circuits and completely went off the grid. Pun intended.

The torture I got as a girl in karting was difficult but I had thick skin and it didn't bother me. But after losing one person after another I felt like that thick skin had just been shredded.

The shit talking got worse, the threats got worse, I got worse. I began to slip into a depression and nothing helped.

But here I am now healthier than ever and racing way better than before.

"And don't worry until you are ready you will race as the faceless driver." I didn't hesitate, he completely sold me.

"I'll do it."

"Amazing! I'm excited to meet with you, this will be interesting to say the least. I expect amazing things from you. Get to packing. I have a flight for you to get to testing. Stay quiet for now. We will keep your identity protected." I couldn't believe it.

"Thank you so much. You will not regret this. I will see you at testing." My excitement was boiling over.

"I know I won't. See you soon." He spoke and the call cut off.

"HELL YEAH!" I screamed out jumping and punching the air.

"I'm gonna make you guys proud, Charles did it once and I'm going to join him." I spoke towards the sky.

I can only imagine their excitement. As children we dreamed of racing for Ferrari. Together.

And now we will.

*****

A/N!
Hey!!! Welcome to my book! This is just the beginning, lots more chapters to come. Many are already written and ready to publish🤭. Hope everyone likes it!

-Maylee<3