09

Impact bomb?

Shock. Disbelief. Surprise. Disbelief. Confusion. Irritated. Just a few possibilities. There are different ways a person might react to the news that someone has killed someone. With Christmas, however, the reaction was a little different. The short-haired man just sat up straight, crossed his wrists on his helmet, and watched Sierra try to relax.

In retrospect, it was somewhat predictable that something would happen.

"I was standing on a side street as a blockade..." Sierra began after a while, because the silence was much worse and more unbearable, so she took a deep, audible breath and walked around the square in front of the hall, nodding, ".... it was dark... a black car can be seen there as well. I have no idea how it happened. It happened so fast....There was a light, I backed up, and the next thing I knew there was a loud bang....and my car was shaking."

"A motorcyclist," Christmas concluded from everything that had happened in the last few minutes, giving an audible snort, "accidents can happen...."

"In an illegal street race, it's a different story," the brunette interrupted the Expendable, "Hit and run resulting in death was in the paper a few days later. I was driving away shortly after the crash and saw someone lying in the road in my rearview mirror. The ambulance was apparently too late after I called it.

As Sierra also learned from the newspaper article, the motorcyclist was a young man, twenty-four years old. He had broken his neck in the impact and died instantly.

"You didn't kill him. It was an accident," Lee tried to reassure Sierra, causing the brunette to stop in her tracks and give the short-haired man a 'funny' look, "It wasn't your intention for anyone to get hurt or die. Accidents happen.... Yes, you caused the accident that killed him, but it was not murder."

One thing Sierra had known for a long time, and she didn't need to hear from Christmas to realize it and feel better. The man was dead and she was responsible. Nothing would ever change that.