Trust

[Jenna SOMMERS]

For Jenna opening her eyes to a hospital room, to a flat stomach and having no recollection of what happened was panic-inducing. Thankfully her cousin, Lisanna, noticed her awakening and called a doctor.

She was assured by the doctor and nurses that her child (she had a daughter!) was alive and well (liers the lot of them! You don't put a baby who is well into an incubator!).

She didn't believe them one whit.

And where were her parents?

Nobody could make her believe that either her mother or father would leave her side. She knew her own parents thank you very much! If nothing dire happened they would be here! One of them at her side and the other beside their granddaughter even if she was somehow in New York!

That was another thing.

How the hell she ended up here?

But no one was willing to tell her anything and Jenna wanted to scream! (She might have screamed one or two times.)

All they would tell her was everyone was fine and everything was alright.

She didn't believe them but between the heavy-duty medications and broken bones there wasn't much she could do however much she cried and screamed but she still persisted and finally, Mason cracked.

Hearing about her own accident was chilling enough (and made her more determined to see her baby) but listening to how her mother had a heart attack in front of her operation room at Mystic Falls Hospital left her breathless, left her in a crying fit that doctors had to sedate in fear she would reopen her stitches.

That night after she talked with her father on the phone and heard about her mother's condition and recovery and settled some of her worries Jenna demanded to see her daughter and pestered the until Mason promised to help her.

The next night under the supervision of a doctor a nurse and Mason took her in front of the incubator room to look from behind the glass to see their daughter and finally, the boulder inside Jenna's chest was lifted.

Her baby girl was lying there peacefully, her soft-looking skin snow white and in sharp contradiction with the fine red hair on her head.

Another red-haired little girl flashed in front of Jenna's eyes and unconsciously she uttered the name "...Sansa"

"Did you say something?"

She had uttered that name in a low voice but apparently Mason caught some of it.

She was going to refuse and say "nothing" but when she was about to shake her head that little girl flashed past in front of her eyes again and she remembered the absolute certainty in little Sansa's voice while talking about the unimportance of her own name.

Remembered how her bell-like pleasant voice got smaller and smaller while talking about all the people who forgot her and the sorrow which shouldn't be on that beautiful and young face.

"Sansa. Let's name our daughter with this name."

Even if it was just an imagination, Jenna hoped the little girl in her dreams would know there was at least one person who would always remember her name.

She hoped that the little girl would be happy.

"Sansa?"

Jenna gave a toothed smile when she saw Mason's raised eyebrows.

"Yep! Sansa! What do you think?"

"Well... it is an interesting name. Where did you hear it?"

"In a dream."

Jenna said in a mysterious voice.

"sigh... Okay. If that is what you want. But if in the next two decades, our daughter accuses me of giving her a lousy name I will throw all the blame on you."

"Gasp...Where is your sense of partnership? Are all those years of friendship mean nothing to you?"Jenna sniffed pitifully for more effect but Mason, the heartless man he is didn't budge at all.

"Fine! Let's see how much she loves her name."

Jenna pouted and threw a stink eye towards the cast on her right arm. She couldn't even fold her arms! Mason's warm chuckle brought her back from her own pity party.

"I'm glad." after her questioning look he continued. "I'm glad you are better enough to play theatrical."

The fond look inside Mason's eyes and his soft smile caused Jenna's ears to heat.

Jenna cleared her throat and changed the subject without any subtlety.

" Mom is going to be overjoyed to have another red-haired girl for her team."

Thinking about how much pouting her mom did about Elena being a brunette Jenna couldn't help but smile.

Sigh she wanted to hold her daughter, she wanted to be discharged and return her home, see her parents and make sure with her own eyes that both of them were fine.

Feeling Mason's warm hand on her own Jenna gave a half smile and allowed them to take her back.

After finally discharging from the hospital they still couldn't go back to Mystic Falls.

Truth be told if Jenna was able to hold her daughter without assistance she wouldn't care what anybody was saying but unfortunately, she couldn't stage a break out from this penthouse just yet.

Not when she needed help for every single thing, to hold her daughter, to dress, to bathe. She needed help even going to the toilet! (She knew she needed help but that didn't make it any less humiliating for her)

There was one time she tried to go herself and nearly cracked open her head. They had a row and only Sansa's crying ended their screaming match.

Mason had first gone to their daughter's side then after making sure Sansa was alright he had left the penthouse and Jenna was left in frustrated tears.

Talking with Lisanna and Carol helped some but it didn't change how Jenna felt or she still needed help with most of anything. Still, Mason tried to reign in his overprotectiveness and leave Jenna to handle some basic needs and only help when she asked.

Jenna too learned to ask for help and talk it out when frustrated rather than bottle up because she felt like a burden enough as it is and didn't want to trouble others anymore.

And she learned to trust Mason too.

He had apologized and was trying to help her in the last trimester of pregnancy but that fried and broken bond between them didn't miraculously become full.

It didn't heal the hurts from the rejection at the start after all once lost it was nearly impossible to gain trust again.

But now...

Now Jenna felt she could trust Mason again.

And the trust that had healed and the friendship that had been resorted were the outcomes Jenna felt thankful for in these trying times.

However thankful she felt about being able to fully trust the father of her daughter Jenna was still gleeful about taking off her casts early and being able to return home.

She didn't notice either the sly glint in the doctor's eyes or the dark look that passed Mason's eyes while looking at the doctor.