Disorder

A couple of days later Nick laid out on the couch, Iggy at his feet. He was busy pretending to watch a football game, but his mind was swarming with thoughts on everything that was happening around him. His mother had really gotten on his last nerve and he couldn't wait for tonight, so they could hop in their rental and drive to the airport and fly back out of his life.

Then there was Ray, she had told him that Adam had decided to stay and now that bothered him, knowing that they would have a chance to talk and be around each other. Lastly his project with AJ that was seriously going nowhere, especially with AJ falling into his new habit with Kimmy.

The clinking of plates and silverware broke his chain of thoughts "Everything alright Mia?" he asked looking over the sofa into the kitchen. He couldn't believe how much the girl had changed, she was a new person.

Mia looked up at him and moaned "Yeah, except for the movement in my belly every time you open your mouth. I'm good. Just tired already..." she sighed walking over to him "So your family is leaving tonight" she wiped her hands on a rag.

He smiled widely "That is right...they should have left days ago. They have been nothing but a pain in Ray and my ass. I see you've taken a liking to them." he chuckled.

She held her sighed "Calm down, he's not even talking to you guys..." she stared at Nick for a full second, then shrugged, "Well yeah, they are nice to me you know. I think your mother is just a little on the uptight side. Plus I think she's just afraid that Ray has snagged her boy." Mia giggled as Nick rolled his eyes.

"Oh please she could care less. It's just that she wants everything her way or the highway. I can't believe she was so mean to Ray. Anyways...I'm taking the dog out for a walk. Ray should be here any..."

His sentence was cut off by the ruckus of the three women entering the house. "I loved it mom..." BJ said with a wide grin.

Melanie added "Oh yes me too...it was beautiful."

"Girls settle down. Oh hi Nick and Mia! Sorry we were just checking out rings...BJ's wedding and all." Jane looked around the house "I'm guessing Ray isn't home yet."

"No mother, not like you care. I'm going to walk Iggy" he jogged down the stairs out to the sand, Iggy on his heels.

She followed him out to the beach "Nick...I know you think I don't like that girl...well quite frankly I don't. It's just that she has nothing, her parents have nothing. I mean how would that look for your family if god forbid one day you decide to marry her."

Nick sighed, "Mom I would be the one marrying her not you guys. Look I don't expect for you guys to accept her, I know that she is different. I like...no, I love that about her. She's who I love mom...that's it."

Jane sighed heavily "I didn't want to say this...but I guess I have no choice. Nick, I think your girlfriend has an eating disorder...she reminds me so much of Leslie, waking up early in the mornings, before everyone else. Pushing the food on her plate around, excusing herself after every meal. Have you noticed her fingers...or the bruises on her arms. Just like Leslie."

"Man mom, the lengths you'll go to...Ray is just fine." he was saying it, but his heart was telling him that all those symptoms were accurate. He had heard her many times in the bathroom. He had seen the bruises himself. She did avoid eating and recently he had found a new bottle of diet pills almost empty in her drawer. He wondered if her missed periods had anything to do with it, but he wouldn't ask his mom. He felt so stupid for never putting all the pieces together.

"I just thought I would let you know. I love you Nick, even if I never showed it, but I'm not going to approve of her and neither will your father." she walked away leaving Nick in a daze.