Part 8

I have no idea how I got so good at a sport

Ever since I was born I had suffered with short periods of breathing which later turned out to be asthma.

So i usually kept myself out of anything sport related.

But here I am on a field playing volleyball, I've only been playing for two weeks and people on the team have told me that I was there "lucky" because I was so good that there was no way it was just because of practice, and that I had to have some kind of luck.

Which was true, before I had moved here I hadn't even known volleyball existed and now it's practically my life.

Anyways, we had a match coming up in a few days so coach Tomlinson ( yes I'm officially allowed to call him that) is going extra hard on us with practice this week.

The game we we're currently playing ended with one of the people on my side hitting a perfect strike and we had won.

Coach rang the whistle and informed us that we were free to go home.

"Styles" I heard someone say.

I looked around and spotted Mr. Tomlinson holding a clipboard and a pen.

I walk the short distance to him and stop once
Im standing in front of him.

"Coach" I say while giving him a small nod to indicate I was listening.

"You need to practice on you're serves, if my main server gets hurt or something I expect you to be ready to take that position"

"Umm, I thought I was front center" I say getting confused.

He looks at me for a moment and chuckles.

"Did you think I was going to let you play in our first game of the season?" He says with raised eyebrows.

A blush paints my face as I get a bit embarrassed.

"But sir I'm good enough"

"It doesn't matter, these people have been playing on my team and winning since their first years of high school, I don't want anyone getting upset so I'm benching you"

A pout forms on my face, I sniffle a bit to hold back my tears.

"O-oh ok" I say with a fake smile that almost turns into a frown when my voice shakes.

"Anyway, like I said practice your serve just in case, if you need practice time on the field we can always come early, like last time" he says and I almost physically flinch as he brings up the last time.

"Umm yeah I would like more practice" I say looking down at my shoes.

.

.

.

.

I slam the front door shut and run up the stairs to my room not bothering to take off my shoes or say hi to my mum.

I reach my room and throw myself onto my bed and grab a pillow to scream into.

Seven screams later and my breakdown settles into a soft sniffle with tears rolling down my cheeks.

I wipe my tears and stare at my vanity that sits in the corner of my room.

Something catches my eye and I immediately get up and reach out for it.

I take a seat at my vanity and hold the worn out picture in my hand.

Aphrodite.

I haven't talked to her in a while I thought.

"Please Aphrodite, help me, is it more beauty i need or do I have to be smarter, why can't people like me, my coach doesn't even like me, I want him to like me"

Tears flow out of my eyes and I bring the picture up to my chest and give it a big hug.