Chapter 10

Emilia

"Wow..." he trails off. The way his eyes scan over me with intense appreciation does nothing to calm the nerves that have plagued me since agreeing to this date. "You look amazing."

Unable to hold his gaze, I make the mistake of looking down at my dress. Not for the first time today, I'm hit with a pang of guilt that nearly steals my breath.

Of all the dresses in Nic's closet, why did I pick this one?

Not that the off-the-shoulder floral print dress isn't beautiful. With its cinched waist and short flowy skirt, it fits me like a glove and accentuates my shoulders and legs in a sexy, yet modest way. The problem is, it happens to be the same color as the sea-green eyes of the boy I can't stop thinking about. The very same boy whom I wish was the person standing in front of me now.

"Thank you," I shift nervously, tucking a loose curl behind my ear while averting my eyes to the collar of his shirt.

Parker is an attractive guy. Blond hair, blue eyes, athletic build, and a chiseled jaw few could resist. Today he's sporting khaki shorts with a moss green button-up shirt that's rolled up at his elbows and shows off his wide chest and slim waist. He's the type of guy who knows he's attractive and, given the smirk he's pointing my way, he's well aware I was checking him out.

My cheeks heat under the weight of his assessing stare, while tendrils of guilt and embarrassment coil into a ball that sits heavy in the pit of my stomach. I shouldn't have agreed to this. All the bravado that led me to say yes was a byproduct of the hurt and humiliation I felt at that moment, but now? Now I wish I'd reached out to Lucas to clear the air. So, at the very least, I'd be sure that going out with Parker tonight won't interfere with our friendship.

"Mr. Preston," Parker greets, extending his hand to my dad, who's come up behind me.

"Parker." Dad wraps an arm over my shoulder as he shakes my date's hand. "Good to see you."

"Likewise, sir."

"I see you're driving tonight," Dad juts his chin toward the black pickup truck parked at the curb. "No alcohol for either of you, you hear?" he looks down at me briefly before turning back to my date. "I'm entrusting you with my daughter. Don't do anything that would jeopardize that trust and have her home safe and sound by no later than midnight. Do that and maybe they'll be a next time."

After saying our goodbyes, Parker leads me to his truck. The ride to Ruby Creek Park is awkward. The silence that hangs between us is nothing like the soothing quiet that exists when it's just Lucas and me. After almost a week of no contact, I miss him intensely. The sound of his voice. His soothing presence. The silent show of support and acceptance that takes away all my insecurities whenever he looks at me. Inadvertently, I expel a heavy sigh.

From the driver's seat, Parker glances my way. "You okay over there?"

Am I okay? No. I'm the opposite of okay, given that nothing about tonight feels right. Dressing up for Parker. Agreeing to go on a date with him. Going against Lucas's wishes. No... I am definitely not alright.

"Parker..." it's all I can manage before my shoulders deflate. I have to tell him what this is. Somehow I must find the words to communicate that for me, tonight is nothing more than two friends hanging out together.

"It's okay, Emi." When I look at him, his eyes are back on the road. "You're not that into me, which is crazy, I know." His lips pull into that mischievous smirk of his that's somehow adorable and charming. "But hey, I get it. Some girls like a guy with skilled hands, while others prefer the bossy asshole who snatches the ball from another dude's ass."