Chapter 7 - Washing Machine

After a really long shopping and dealing with lots of traffic, we're finally back home in our apartment. The ride from the bike to our home was a little bumpy, especially with all the zigzagging we did in this climate and roads. And on the way here, this guy had me holding onto his shoulder and his back so many times, especially when we went over those annoying speed bumps and potholes. I can't figure out if he did it on purpose or not. But all that touching and clinging ended up with my dainty lipstick leaving a little mark on his back, right on his pristine white shirt.

Please universe, let him not notice it, or he'll tease me nonstop! The thought of him grinning and poking fun at me makes me want to bury my face in a pillow and groan.

"Stay seated," Gowtham's surprising command caught me off guard. We were just outside our apartment.

"What are you doing?" I asked. Gowtham got off the bike, leaving me on the seat. Securing the bike's stand, he went to open the gate. The bike's soft rumble blended with the calm afternoon. With a wink, he returned and parked the bike inside.

"I could've done that, you know. I've got legs too," I mentioned, both of us hopping off the bike. My handbag remained firmly on my shoulder, and I stood beside him.

"I know, but I was just trying to be a gentleman. Didn't want those pretty tired legs of yours to go through any more stress after all that shopping," he explained with a charming smile, picking up the bags from the bike that we hauled home.

I rolled my eyes. Seriously, this is too much. But at least he's not trying to pick me up and carry me to our flat.

As we were going up the stairs, we saw our landlady, the one in her mid-40s coming down towards the parking area. She was holding an empty plate in her hand, and, oh my goodness, her hair? Let's just say it was like a bird's nest situation!

"Is it just me, or does she give off this eerie vibe, like a mix between a scary ghost and a beggar with that empty plate?" Gowtham's whispered comment tickles my ear, and I shoot him a look, half-amused and half-surprised.

"Husband, that's so out of line," I scold him though I can't help the suppressed giggle at his remark.

"Gowtham and Madhumitha, right?" Aunty inquired.

"Yes, Aunty. We are. You remember—" I started to remind her about our first day here, but she interrupted me.

"Could you do me a favour,?" I shifted my attention from Gowtham to Aunt and nodded a little hesitantly. Gowtham quickly went upstairs to our flat, leaving me alone with her.

××××××

"Madhu, are you hungry? I'm starving out here," Gowtham's voice called from outside the bathroom as I was tucking away my switched clothes and his shirt, making sure no sign of that lipstick mark was left. Swiftly, I let the clothes fall into the water bucket and opened the door, stepping out.

My hair, now in a slightly tangled braid, brushed against my back as I adjusted. I met his gaze with a composed look and said, "I'll eat later. I'm a little tired and really just need a quick nap."

"Alright. I'll eat without you then," he replied. "By the way, what did that Aunt want?" Gowtham questioned

"Oh, that. Tomorrow, there's this couple checking out the house right next to ours for rent. They're kind of like us, a young couple and all."

Did I just blurt out what Auntie said exactly without thinking? Yes. Then, does this mean we're officially, like, a 'couple' couple now? Well, we are a married couple, so technically yes. But we haven't taken that next big step...