Chapter 6 - Sweet Caress

I woke up in my bed at 6 am, feeling snug and warm under the blankets. I saw Goutham sleeping peacefully and ridiculously on the floor with earphones on his ears.

It's become a habit for him to sleep on the floor. He's worried about accidentally disturbing my sleep, like if our bodies touch, I might end up on top of him or accidentally put my leg on him or he might kiss me. Actually, he said I might kiss him. Huh, Funny!

We used to do that a lot, I mean, putting my leg on him, and he did it too. Now, I'm not sure if he still does. But it's like he wants to give each other space, even when we're asleep. Silly Goutham, always thinking about others before himself. 

But I worry about his back. I want him to sleep in the bed with me. We used to cuddle when we were young, so why not now? It's a natural progression as a couple. I'll talk to him tonight.

Carefully getting out of bed, I tied my hair into a bun and gently took the earphones from Goutham's ears, placing them on the shelf beside his phone. I folded my bedsheet and his unused one, neatly placing them over the pillow on the bed.

I opened all the window curtains and half-opened the window to let the fresh air come inside. With a smile, I began my morning routine, heading to the bathroom.

After a few minutes, I stepped out, my face still wet with water. I looked for the towel but couldn't find it in the room. I went to the balcony and quickly grabbed it from where it was hanging, drying my face.

Feeling refreshed, I went to the kitchen to make breakfast and lunch, simultaneously. Today's Saturday, so I don't have college, but Goutham has to go to the office. Poor him!

I made some coffee for myself and sipped it while cooking up a storm in the kitchen.

By the time the clock struck at 7:40 am, breakfast and lunch were well underway. I turned off the stove and headed back to the room to wake up Goutham.

"Goutham, it's almost 8 am. Wake up," I said hurriedly, as I switched on the bathroom heater for him.

"Get up, Gowtham." I leaned in closer. He didn't stir.

"Husband, you have to get ready for work," I said, giving him a gentle nudge on his shoulder, then another, and another, and another.

Still, no response. When did he become such a heavy sleeper?

As I looked at Goutham thoughtfully, I hesitated, wondering if I should use the same old ways as old Madhu would do, like shouting or splashing water on his face. But something inside me held back, and I realized that I'm not the same person I used to be.

But I felt like doing something sweet for Goutham, just like he used to do for me.

I took a deep breath and sat next to his head, gently touching his hair. His hair looked nice and fluffy, making me want to caress his hair. That's what I'm going to do. But I felt a little nervous, What if he wakes up and sees me like this? Will he think I'm crazy? But he's my husband, and I think he'll like it when he wakes up.

I gently ran my fingers through his hair, a soft smile on my face.

"Enough sleeping, Husband. Wake up," I murmured in his ear.

Is he still sleeping? It feels like I was caressing a coma patient.

He remained sound asleep, and I continued to caress his hair as I gazed at his closed eyes dreamily. But then

"Hey, Goutham," I whispered, my fingers gently playing with his hair. I looked at my hand, intertwined in those soft strands, and memories of our childhood flashed in my mind. "Gowtham, do you remember the night when we were young, and I snuck into your room with a fever?"