Chapter 27

Announcing Intentions

What happened to you?" Zita looked Adair up and down. 

Adair sat next to her looking like he had just escaped death.

The disturbed-looking prince mumbled something unintelligible. His mouth was slightly ajar and his eyes flickered around him with suspicion. He was as haunted as someone locked in a dark room hearing the buzz of a mosquito.

"I was about to ask the same question," Oziakel added, "You look like you've seen your reflection."

Adair lifted his iced tea to his lips absentmindedly, completely ignoring their comments.

Zita shot Oziakel a questioning look. He simply replied to with a shrug.

"Have you noticed people are acting...strangely?" Adair finally said, tossing a look behind his back.

"Are you sure they're the ones acting strangely?" Zita looked at him with an amusement. Ever since the air between them had been cleared that day at the library, Zita could tease Adair without any worry that her words would escalate any conflict between them.

He leaned closer to them. Zita and Oziakel mimicked his action, forming a conspiratorial huddle.

"The ladies of the court have been coming up to me," Adair whispered, hoarsely. "Talking to me."

He looked at the two of them as if hoping for them to share in his distress.

"And?" Oziakel nodded for him to elaborate.

Zita was also confused. It wasn't as if Adair never spoke to women. She had seen him on several occasions acting friendly with Gerlana, the girl he danced with at the ball, as well as other high-born women in society.

Adair only became more insistent when he saw his fellow royals not taking his problem seriously.

"They've been dropping things in front of me; fans, hats, parasols, brooches. All the women in this kingdom have seemingly lost the ability to hold things all of a sudden. They're complimenting me too. Saying how my orange tunic really brings out the amber in my eyes. One of them even asked me to help her look for her ferret that conveniently went scampering off into the crowds the moment I approached. I don't know what this means."

Oziakel simply hmmed while Zita sputtered out a laugh.

Adair looked at Zita accusingly. "What do you know?"

"Me?" Zita clutched her chest. "Why would you assume I know anything?"

"Because women talk amongst themselves. You must have heard something."

Adair was right. Zita did know why the ladies of the royal court had suddenly grown buttery-fingered and complimentary around him. Rumors that Adair was soon to announce his Intentions ran rampant through court. Every girl of noble standing held out the hope that they would soon be his future wife.

"I might have heard rumblings..." Zita took a sip of her mango juice, heightening Adair's frustration until he was vibrating in his seat.

When she had had enough of torturing the prince she said, "The girls all believe you're on the brink of announcing your Intentions."

Oziakel oohed in wide-mouthed delight. Adair looked at Zita with knitted brows.

"Where would they get that idea from?"

"Well, you did dance with multiple girls at the Coronation ball. That evidently sent a specific message."

"Look who's open for business." Oziakel smacked his brother's knee with a scandalized grin.