Chapter 14 - The Outside World

Memory

I found myself looking at a scene with two adults and a child around 7 years old between them, holding their hands. Although each of their faces was blurred, I instinctively knew the child was me and that the people who were with me were my parents. The past me was in some kind of garden filled with lush trees and flowers. I heard a waterfall gently splashing down water, creating a calming sound. A peaceful atmosphere surrounded this scene. I noticed that I had not seen any sign of any location that seemed like this place in Gensokyo, then again, I had not explored much of the Surface yet.

"Here we are Sweetie, this is Yellowstone National Park, one of the most beautiful national parks in this world called Earth, or as we like to call it, the Outside World." Mom said to the past me.

"The Outside World? Why do you call it that? Why not just call it Earth like everyone else does?" The past me asked Mom.

"It's a long story, but to simplify it a bit, it's because we come from a different place. It's still technically part of Earth, but it isn't accessible from where we are now." Mom answered.

"So you can't go back to your home anymore? Why?" The past me inquired.

"Yeah, we can't go back to our home anymore, in fact, we don't even know what is going on over there either. As for why, it is hard to explain right now, but for now, I'll explain it like this. It's like a giant wall was erected around our home. Those living within the wall do not know what happens in the world outside that wall while those living outside the wall do not know what happens inside the wall. Now imagine that wall was heavily guarded and that almost nobody could go into and out of the wall. That's what our home is like. We left the walled space, but as a result, we can no longer go back inside that space." Dad explained while sighing a few times.

"That is interesting! What is your home called?" I asked with my eyes glowing in intrigue.

"We lived in a place called Gensokyo. That would be the walled place that Dad explained to you. Specifically, we lived in a large home that we called the Palace of Earth Spirits." Mom replied while stroking the top of my head.

I saw the past me close her eyes and start smiling. Even though the memory was replaying in my head, I couldn't help but think. 'So that's the reason why I like my family petting my head so much, it was because Mom used to do it a lot and I loved it every time she did.'

As soon as I finished my thoughts, the past me coincidentally began speaking again, as if waiting for me to finish my thoughts first. "A palace?! Were you someone important?!" The young me gasped before continuing. "Were you a princess or something?!" The younger me asked, speeding up her words in utter excitement.

"Kind of. Instead of a princess, I was more like the inheritor of the place. As for what I did, I was a mediator between two different groups of people." Mom responded while tilting her head upward as if she was trying to remember the memories of her past.

"Wow, Mom, you are so cool! You must have been skilled if that was your job in the past!" The younger me complimented her while squealing in joy.

"It wasn't that cool, the job and responsibilities were handed down to me from your grandmother. Our family has a duty to do this, so it wasn't really too impressive. The palace is also something that belongs to our family." Mom started to say before I felt an aura of regret emanating from her. "I left Gensokyo before I got to pass down or explain these responsibilities to your eldest sister. I hope she is doing well." Mom once again lifted up her head seemingly because she missed her eldest daughter.

"Why did you leave before explaining that to her?" The younger me asked. The question looked like it pierced Mom like an arrow. "I-it's b-because, uhhh" Mom started before cutting herself off.