Secret Romance

*In which discussions end in laughter*

Anne's POV

One week had passed since Gilbert and Anne had made things clear. Gilbert had gone to talk to Winnifred while Anne let her imagination run wild. She thought about their future, waking up to see his beautiful face. She could get used to that. Anne made her way to the Lake of Shining Waters, where they had agreed to meet.

"Winnifred says she needs two weeks to 'get her affairs in order,'" Gilbert explained. "So we mustn't tell anyone about us."

"What about us?" Anne asked mischievously.

"Well, that we're courting, I suppose." She liked the idea of Gilbert and her courting.

"Courting is an awfully boring word for something so romantic..." she sighed wistfully.

"Well, we'll have to think of something else then." She thought for a moment. "I quite like the word lover," Gilbert said.

"Hm, lovers. I think that's perfectly romantical," she grinned. Anne rested her head on his shoulder, admiring the gorgeous view of the lake. The orange sky reflected perfectly on the surface, providing much scope for the imagination.

"So, two whole weeks of no one knowing we're lovers," Gilbert said.

"I guess it's a secret romance kind of situation."

"Ah, yes. Though I wish to tell all of Canada that I love Anne Shirley-Cuthbert." She laughed her gorgeous laugh that only came out when she was with the people she loved. "I guess I'll just have to tell you then," he leaned closer. "I love you, Anne," he whispered into her ear. She turned her face towards him.

"I love you too, Gil." They kissed, savoring the moment and letting the love pass between them. Anne thought life would always be happy if every day were like this. She couldn't wait to tell the world how lucky she was. Gilbert Blythe had chosen her. And she would continue, over and over again, to pick him.