A Pure Idiot

*In which words forget to be said*

Gilbert's POV

"To celebrate the graduation of our finest students, we will be holding a lovely ball on Friday next week!" Ms. Stacy announced. Gilbert was excited at the prospect of taking Anne to this event. The entire room burst into a discussion, gossip breaking out about who would go with who. The class dismissed, so Gilbert left the quaint schoolhouse and waited for Anne inconspicuously.

"Do you have anything to ask me, Gilbert?" Anne asked.

"Um, not exactly." Anne glanced at all the people nearby, then nodded. The two of them chatted happily, doing whatever they wanted. Anne looked at Gilbert again, waiting patiently.

"What is it?" he inquired.

"Are you sure there is nothing you want to ask me?"

"There is." Anne perked up. "Do you... think Mattew would have any cufflinks I could borrow?" Anne sank a bit, much to Gilbert's confusion.

"I suppose he might," she said, irritated. They made it to Green Gables, where the pair kissed goodbye.

***

Gilbert left his house early, for he didn't want to be late to walk with Anne.

"Anne, your dress is simply ravishing. Is it new?" Anne blushed.

"It is! Thank you for noticing." Simple things could make Anne's day, and Gilbert thanked his lucky stars every moment he could give that to her. They walked together in peaceful silence. Suddenly, Anne stopped.

"For heaven's sake, Gilbert, if you aren't going to ask me, I will." Gilbert raised his eyebrows.

"Gilbert Blythe, will you go to the ball with me?" Gilbert was just stunned.

"Of course, I will, but... Anne, I thought it was obvious that we were going together." Anne smacked her forehead. 

"Oh, Gil, you should've known how I've longed to been asked to ball. I almost thought you didn't want to go with me," Anne laughed. "I should have known you were just being a pure idiot."

"Ah, but I'm your idiot." She kissed him quickly.

"That you are."