Pass Through Life at My Side

*In which a vital question gets answered *

Anne's POV

The Avonlea flower festival was Anne's most cherished time of year. It marked the end of spring when all the blossoms were in their peak bloom. Not only was it the flower festival, but now that Gilbert had graduated from the University of Toronto, he was finally coming home! Anne's graduation was next week. Gilbert would be there for hers like she was there for his. Gilbert stepped off the train, and Anne ran into his arms. He grabbed her waist and twirled her around. He gently set her down and kissed her tenderly. They pulled apart, not wanting scandal to arise.

"I've missed you, Gil!" Anne exclaimed and grabbed her lover's hand, pulling him to the carriage.

"I've missed you too, my love." Anne felt her cheeks redden slightly and scooted closer to him. They remained like that till they arrived at Green Gables. Bash wasn't expecting him for another two hours, giving them plenty of time to explore the woods as they used to.

***

Anne wrapped her arm around Gilbert's, holding him close as they walked to the field where the festival would be. An hour passed while the pair admired the different flowers. Anne told Gilbert about what she had learned in "The Language of Flowers."

"Violets represent loyalty and hope," she said, sighing at how romantical flowers could be.

"This one, surprisingly, I know," Gilbert replied. Anne turned to face him, and it took her a moment to realize that Gilbert had bent down on one knee. Her hand flew to her mouth as he began to say the most romantic words.

"Anne, my Anne with an E, you are my violet. You give me hope and a reason to wake up every morning. Your wisdom is unparallel to anyone else, and I will be forever loyal to you." Anne began to tear up. "My love, 'I ask you to pass through life at my side - to be my second self and best earthly companion,'" Gilbert quoted Jane Eyre perfectly. "Will you give me the highest honor by marrying me and becoming my life partner?" he asked.

"I think I would be crazy not to," she laughed through the tears. "Yes, Gil. I will marry you." He slipped the amethyst ring onto her finger and stood to kiss her.