V

"So, how is Xylo?" Gustav asked the doctor. It was the fifth day of work at the Rose Garden Psychiatric Hospital, and Benjamin had become accustomed to Xylo's constant mood swings and erratic behavior.

"This may be the longest we've had a doctor on him in ages!" The director continued. He was undoubtedly impressed by Benjamin's will to continue, and after discussing the patient at length, he left to go and feed him again.

Benjamin sat on the bed across from Xylo, poffertjes in hand. Benjamin's return with his favorite snack pleased the patient.

"Benny!" He chirped the nickname he had quickly grown fond of. "Still here?" Xylo was fascinated by the doctor who hadn't left yet. Even after several trips to the infirmary, Benjamin was still making his acquaintance.

"I love poffertjes—nom nom. Oh nom nom nom, so good!" Xylo sang under his breath, mouth full of food. Benjamin found him adorable.

"Glad you like it, Xylo."

Kasper slowly opened the door in search of Benjamin. Seeing him beside Xylo, he spoke.

"Hey, can I talk to you for a sec?" Xylo looked up at the fiery red-haired man and frowned when he saw Benjamin nod his head. Kasper nodded back and shut the door.

"I'll be right back, okay?" Before Benjamin could leave, Xylo jumped to his feet and rested his head on the doctor's shoulder. Even though his arms were bound in the straitjacket, he was able to stop Benjamin.

"Who... who is that?" He whimpered.

"He's just a colleague of mine, Kasper. Nothing's wrong, don't worry." His voice was soft and reassuring to the patient's ear, but that didn't stop Xylo's tears.

He fell to his knees, sobbing. Xylo was annoyed that 'a colleague' was interrupting his meal. He tried desperately to keep Benjamin from leaving. Even if it was with the help of a few fake tears.

"PLEASE! Don't leave me!" Benjamin quickly crouched down on the padded floor, afraid that this had triggered something in the boy.

"Shh, I won't leave you. It's okay, Xylo." Benjamin took the boy in his arms and whispered into his ear, while stroking fluffy raven hair. Xylo smirked to himself.

"Y-You won't?"

Unfortunately for Kasper, Benjamin stood up to tell him that they would talk after he finished.

"Oh...okay, see you later." Xylo grinned at the sight of Kasper's retreating figure. Benjamin sat down with the patient, who eagerly awaited his remaining breakfast.

"Are you okay now?" Benjamin asked him as soon as the plate had been cleared away.

"Yup!"

↫~~~~~❖~~~~~↬

"You wanted to talk?" His frosty blue eyes flicked over to Kasper in the kitchen.

"Oh, hey. Yeah, sorry for interrupting earlier." Kasper seemed to be making something to eat.

"You're fine. What did you need?" Kasper hesitated before addressing the white-haired man opposite of him.

"Um, I just wanted to know if you're interested in hanging out?"

"Hanging out?" Benjamin stared at the sheepish adult in front of him.

"Yeah, like...without Olivia this time!"

He thought for a moment before nodding. Benjamin hadn't made friends in ages, so when he was approached by one, his frozen heartstrings were tugged.

"Cool! Want to grab some lunch?" The two continued talking and soon they were on their way to a café.

↫~~~~~❖~~~~~↬

Xylo was astonished to see that his new doctor was still with him. He wondered how much more Benjamin could take. No one wanted to know him, and those who did thought he was a lunatic.

The patient sat alone in his room, waiting for the man who claimed to care for Xylo to return. He couldn't take another heartbreak and tried not to get attached to the new doctor. But maybe, just maybe, after years of resentment and murder, he would have a friend.