Chapter 3

"He's gone." He hushes against the soft skin of my throat. Daryl helps me back into my shirt, pulling me back down to chest.
"They're going to kill us." I hush, nuzzling my face into his throat, where I fall asleep. Hands tucked beneath me.
"Darlin, somebody's in my bag." He hushes, pressing a kiss to my temple. When I sit up, I twist so he can sit too. By the time we're up, his bag is resting where it had been last night.
We both slam the doors shut, walking up to the group; Daryl's right hand stuffed in my back pocket. That small notion gets things started.
"He took the other half of my rabbit!" Len accuses, directing a finger in Daryl's direction.
"The hell I did!" Daryl shouts back, sliding his hand from my pocket.
"Daryl, did you take the half of Len's rabbit?" Asks Joe, voice cool and calm.
"He did! Teach him!" Len calls, egging on the other men.
"It's kind of hard when I was laying on him all night. Ask Len, he was watching." I say matter-of-factly, glaring at Len as his face turns a shade of crimson.
"Len, were you watching these two last night?" Asks Joe, giving Len a pointed look.
"I was checking on them." He shrugs, looking at the ground.
"Teach Daryl, boys, after Daryl, him." He points to Len. They pull Daryl over and start to punch and kick him into oblivion. "Okay, enough. Teach Len all the way boys." And with that they kick, punch, shove and laugh until Len is breathing so shallowly on the floor.
"Fuck you! He's the innocent one! Not Len! Len's the one who should have gotten Daryl's share of the beating--" Daryl's hand covers my mouth, his other arm circling my waist to keep from tearing into them.
"She sure is feisty, ain't she?" He smiles, yanking me away from Daryl's grip.
"Let. Go." His voice goes feral, his stance very defensive.
"What exactly are you going to do about it?" He asks, voice edging mimicking, getting a rise out of Daryl.
"Don't! That's what he wants! Don't give the bastard the s--" a hard hit to the head sends me sprawling onto to the floor, where my chin slams into the hard concrete.