♡2♡

i opened my eyes, the sound of distant crying catching my attention. i looked down to see myself one step away from death and immediately fell backwards and on my butt from shock. i panted in fear once i finally realized what i was about to do.

the sound of more crying broke me out of those thoughts and i immediately rushed down the hill. it was sounding in the bottom meaning that it was somewhere in the lake. but why would a baby be in a lake anyway? maybe my mind is at the brink of insanity and is playing games with me but i have to check it out anyway. i don't have anything to lose anymore.

i ran down the hill and was careful not to trip in the process. the damp soil covered my shoes and dirtied the hem of my dress and legs even further than they were. i didn't let it bother me as i had bigger issues at the moment.

it was quite dark and difficult to see where i was stepping, but when the fireflies found their way towards me and lit the way for me my steps became more secure. i swiftly avoided rocks and branches until i reached the bottom. adreline rushed through my veins as i quickly ran towards the source of the crying. when i arrived at the shore of the lake where the bushes and trees were scarce, the moonlight finally reached me and i wasn't blinded by the darkness anymore.

the crying was louder now and i was able to see where it came from. a small basket, near the shore where i was standing.

my eyes widened and i immediately rushed towards it, jumping into the freezing water and i fought the urge to let out a shriek at how cold it was. the water was relatively deep, but thankfully the basket was not too far from the shore so i quickly reached out to pull it with me and out of the water. i sat on the damp soil and before i did anything i realized that my hands were dirty, and i wouldn't want to touch a baby with dirty hands. i washed them quickly in the river and when i looked at them again i saw that the wounds of my nails digging into them were gone.

i glanced down at the basket that was now quiet. a small head was peeking through the blanket. i pulled the fabric down to find a little boy staring back at me. he had adorable big brown eyes and dark green hair. a smile broke out on his face and he giggled at seeing me and reached his little hands towards me, clenching and unclenching his chubby fingers. i shakily reached my finger out and poked his soft cheek. in response he held my finger and tried shoving it inside of his mouth, but i quickly pulled away before he could. finally i decided to take him out of the basket fully. "what.. is a baby doing here..? in the middle of a lake.." i mumbled, staring at his big brown eyes. he didn't look older than just a few months. it was pretty cold so i quickly wrapped the blanket around him and held him close to my chest. i looked at the basket one more time before realizing that there was a note.

i lied him down on my lap, ignoring how he reached out to my hands once more and i opened the note.

"i can't take him. he has no mother.

please, whoever this reaches, take care of him.

his name is gon freecs.

give him the box when he becomes a hunter. i'm sure he will one day.

- ging."

i looked down at the baby, gon, who was looking up at me already. "you're alone too, huh?" i muttered, running my fingers through his hair softly. he only giggled in response, clinging to my sleeves tightly. i picked him up and pressed his head against my cheek, "i will take care of you.

you are... my reason to live." i pressed my lips against his head and kissed him, "you smell like the sun."

i folded the note and put it inside of gon's shirt because i had nowhere else to put it. i noticed a small box, most likely the one the note mentioned, and took it with me.