♡31♡

i sat behind alluka, gently combing my fingers through her long and soft hair as i listened to her rambling about different things that'd caught her attention during our short stay in the hotel. giving how sheltered she's been growing up, even the littlest things are enough to entertain her, which only crushed my heart further. 

how could someone neglect a little girl like her, lock her away and forget all about her? no matter the dangers of her ability... she's still just a little girl. i'm sure there must've been another way of handling her.

i hadn't realized that i stopped, till she turned around with a confused look on her sweet face.

"are you ok, y/n?" she asked, tilting her head.

i blinked, before nodding quickly. "y-yes! i am, sorry. i got distracted. you can go on, i was listening."

a smile broke out on her face and she nodded before turning around excitedly again.

"thanks for taking care of me! no one's ever been this nice to me before. and you're so gentle while handling my hair, i can barely feel it." she giggled, swaying from left to right softly.

i wrapped my arms around her and pulled her into a hug from behind. she snuggled into my arms and went quiet after that.

after a couple of seconds, i let go, before spinning her around. "don't thank me for such silly things. you're gonna have so much fun  from now on!"

"i can't wait! i'm already having so much fun." she exclaimed, waving her hands excitedly.

"we'll just have to wait for gon to return. he should have been here this afternoon." i spoke, standing up from the bed to head to the window. "the sun is already setting."

"hey, i got the stuff."

i turned around to see killua walk in the room, holding a tray with one hand, and his other shoved deep inside his pocket. he huffed, before setting the tray on top of the table. on the tray sat a couple snacks, pastries and cups of tea.

"thank you, killua! you two can start before me, i'll start heading out. i have something i need to discuss with ging before he disappears all over again." i responded, and he shrugged before sitting on top of the bed beside alluka, who stared at me with a frown. "don't worry, i won't be long." i reassured, making the girl hesitantly nod.

i left for the tree after that, with quick strides.

it was dark by the time i reached the tree, and just looking up at it was enough for me to estimate that there was no way in hell i'd ever get to the top in a short amount of time. instead, i decided to trust my gut feeling and walk away. i'm sure by now gon must have returned to the hotel, so ging should be here somewhere. it's rather unfortunate that i don't have his contact information, but it wouldn't be surprising for such a fleeting guy as ging not to stick to one phone number for too long either. he's constantly shrouded with mystery for a reason.

as i walked through the dark streets, i coouldn't help a feeling of nostalgia from washing over me. 

this wasn't the same town that i met kunya and her daughter in, but walking through it at this time strangely reminded me of that time, where gon was still a newborn, and i ran through the streets, scanning the area for someone trustworthy to rely on for help.

i've come a long way since then.

back then, i wasn't even sure that i'd survive. i had no knowledge of the human world... i wasn't sure i'd fit in. i wasn't even sure that gon would survive after the state i found him in.