Chapter 5: The medicine master

Within the hallowed grounds of the Qing Shan Sect, disciples immersed themselves in their relentless training, their swords slicing through the air with precision and grace. The sect was once again stirred with the vibrant cadence of another bustling day.

The past few months had been an absolute nightmare for Lu Ye. He now understood why no disciple could endure staying with Damu Lan for long. It was neither his attitude nor his speech that became the problem, rather, it was the grueling, merciless training he provided.

Yet, Lu Ye somehow managed to weather it all. He had no other option but to remain fiercely loyal to his master solely because a mere piece of paper requested so.

Given that Damu Lan had no other disciple, Lu Ye had to make do with making the most of his free time by practicing alongside disciples of different masters.

The air resonated with the metallic clang of clashing swords, while the swift movements beneath their feet stirred up a whirlwind of dust, momentarily blinding one's vision.

Thud!

Lu Ye lost his grip, tumbling heavily to the ground. Laughter erupted from all corners, the echoes of mockery filling the air. Apparently, Lu Ye had become the laughingstock, defeated by none other than Hua Ran, a renowned disciple whose skill surpassed all others, favored by Zhang Xi Yi, the master himself.

The sword pointed menacingly above Lu Ye, who writhed in pain on his lower abdomen. Unlike the other disciples, Hua Ran's facial expression did not display a mocking smirk despite his victory. Instead, a solemn and humbled expression settled upon his features.

"You are far too weak," he declared, his eyes twitching with a mix of disappointment and frustration. "It has been three months, yet I see no improvement whatsoever. Can you truly deem yourself a disciple of the greatest martial artist?"

Lu Ye fell into an unsettling silence, his gaze cast downward in a gesture of resignation. He knew all too well the depths of his weakness. But what could he do? Each time he attempted to focus solely on his opponent, a searing pain pierced through his head like needles. An unwelcoming fog invaded his mind and vision, an unwavering distraction that hindered his progress at every turn throughout the past months. Moreover, he couldn't even manage a proper night's sleep. Those same nightmares kept haunting him every single night, permiting only fleeting moments of rest before jolting him awake in desperation.

Seeing Lu Ye's uncharacteristic silence, Hua Ran slowly lowered his sword, a flicker of concern crossing his eyes. In a blink, he noticed the pallor that had washed over Lu Ye's complexion, his skin glistening with excessive sweat as he struggled to catch his breath.

Alarmed, Hua Ran asked hastily, "Hey, are you alright?" But his words seemed to fall on deaf ears as Lu Ye's consciousness slipped away.
.

Lu Ye found himself shrouded in a misty realm within his dream. Before long, the surrounding grew dark, and he fell into an endless abyss. The faint sound of droplets echoes in the void, though not a single one was seen. As Lu Ye plummeted into the seemingly bottomless abyss, screams of countless men and women pierced the air, their desperate cries mingling with the suffocating darkness. It was a realm devoid of light and hope, where an insidious grip tightening around his throat, constricting airways and leaving him gasping for air. Each breath became a desperate struggle, as if an unseen force sought to strangle the life out from his very being.

It was the same nightmare again.

"Help..." he managed to gasp, his voice barely a whisper, as he mustered the last bit of his fading breath. His eyes welling with tears of despair that words could not convey, hopeless and pleading for salvation.