Chapter 6: Thorough discovery

In the midst of yet another bustling day, the disciples of the Qing Shan Sect were totally committed and never slacked off in their practices and studies, staying on point without any hesitation.

Lu Ye, aggrieved by the tormenting pain and haunting dreams that plagued him day and night, had accustomed to their incessant presence. Indeed, the more intense his suffering, the stronger his burning desire to defeat this renowned disciple whose name resounded far and wide across the realm.

A month had passed since then, and Lu Ye had been engaging in a swordsmanship session with Hua Ran. The resounding clash of their blades filled the area with its resonance. This time, Lu Ye displayed an astonishing endurance, effortlessly withstand every qi-infused blows unleashed by Hua Ran. As the fight raged on, Lu Ye gradually grew acquitanted with Hua Ran's technique.

This turn of events disturbed Hua Ran, shaking his pride as the sect's most skilled disciple. He couldn't be defeated, just the thought of it feared him. After all, his master was none other than the Legendary Blade Knight, Zhang XiYi. Other than saving the Sect Leader's grandson, one of his recorded history was "The Monastery Defense," wherein he single-handedly protected the sect when the people of the destroyed Grim City ambushed them in search of Bai Chang's missing head 300 years ago.

Damu Lan, the greatest martial artist around, was truly unmatched. But even he held deep respect for Zhang XiYi. The thought of losing and disappointing his esteemed master was just too much for Hua Ran to bear.

But as he got caught in fear of defeat, Hua Ran guard's slipped, giving Lu Ye the perfect opportunity to strike back. The resulting clash echoed through the air, shaking the ground and kicking up clouds of dust. Hua Ran found himself flat on his back, and the table had turned completely. Instead of looking down on Lu Ye in defeat, it was him who was down for the count.

Lu Ye swiftly sheathed his sword and respectfully bowed to Hua Ran. "Impressive moves, Senior Hua. I've learned a lot during this session. I thank Senior Hua for generously sharing his wisdom with me."

Hua Ran's expression remained unreadable, yet hints of visible unease surfaced. Sweat trickled down his forehead, as if he had just encountered a fearsome monster before him. The fear he once instilled in others now haunted him. This was his very first defeat.

The murmurs rippled through the ravend, disbelief painted on their faces as it was almost unbelievable that the renowned Hua ran would lose to a junior.

But before long, an imposing figure made his entrance, stealing the spotlight. The man had a commanding presence, standing a solid six feet tall, with his hair neatly tied up and a strict expression came across his face. Broad shoulders adorned with armor completed his formidable image.

"Ancestor Zhang."

The disciples swiftly straightened their postures, bowing their heads.

"What's with the fuss?" Zhang XiYi asked.

But nobody dared to speak. All eyes remained fixed on him as he scanned the surroundings, until his gaze fell upon his favored disciple.

"Hua Ran, explain yourself," Zhang XiYi demanded.

Hua Ran hesitated for a moment, then mustered the courage to rise back to his feet.

"This disciple greets Master. Welcome back from your expedition," Hua Ran greeted, his voice tinged with deference.

"We had a little spar during our training session, and I ended up losing to this junior. It's a testament to his hard work that he was able to defeat me. So, I ask you, Master, to not hold it against him," Hua Ran explained.