Chapter 21: Fading walls, blooming warmth

Ten years had passed since I started wandering the Qing Shan Sect, drawn inexplicably to Damu Lan's presence.

After returning to The Grim City at dawn, I closed my completed diary and opened a fresh one. As I prepared to begin writing, Yin Xuan called out to me, "My lord."

He approached, holding a bottle of drink in one hand and a glass in the other. "Would you like some?" He offered.

"What is that?" I asked.

"This is wine. It seems that wine is a suitable substitute for blood for conscious devils," he explained, placing the glass on my table and pouring the wine with care.

"Please, have some," he insisted.

I took the glass and took a sip. As the wine touched my lips, it felt like a meandering river flowing through a verdant valley, leaving behind a gentle breeze of aftertaste that caressed my senses. Distant whispers seemed to dance on my palate, creating a complex and elegant taste that enticed me to take another sip.

I ended up drinking the whole bottle.

"Yin Xuan, can I have another bottle? I would like to have Damu Lan drink some," I requested.

"Sure, my lord."

As I prepared to leave The Grim City with the bottle of wine in hand, I halted my movement as Yin Xuan posed a question,

"My lord, there is a conscious devil who wishes for a death. He has brought a fresh flesh of a bull. Shall I decline his request, then?"

"Yes. Decline them."

With that, I shifted into my raven form and took flight, leaving The Grim City behind.

Taking the bottle of wine Yin Xuan offered, I made my way back to the Qing Shan Sect. The thought of sharing this exquisite taste with Damu lan intrigued me, and I couldn't wait to see how he would react to the taste.

The afternoon routine went about just like any other day, with one exception – this time, Damu lan had spent more time with Jin An, Zhang XiYi, and even Cang Ren, who often skipped his practice just to pester Damu Lan and his group.

I observed from a distance, unable to bridge the gap between us.

"Mo Yun!" Damu Lan called out to me.

"Why are you over there? Come join us, let's practice together. Xi Yi would be thrilled to learn from you!" He suggested warmly.

"I didn't say that!" Zhang XiYi protested, clearly unamused.

While Cang Ren avoided meeting my eyes and flinched at the mere sight of me, Zhang XiYi couldn't seem to stop glaring with such intensity that it felt as though he could shoot daggers from his eyes. It was both amusing and intriguing. One feared me, while the other harbored a dislike towards me.

The whole situation was too amusing, and I couldn't help but let a grin etch itself upon this damned face of mine.

"I'll come then," I replied with a hint of mischief in my voice.

As the day gave way to night, I clutched the bottle of wine tightly and leaped from my room to reach Damu Lan's quarters.

I landed on a nearby roof, where I noticed he had intentionally left the window open, inviting my arrival.

Somehow, I couldn't stop myself from letting my lips curl upward.

I went inside, seeing him reading a book. He had his night attire on, with his hair all down for once.

"Damu Lan," I called out to him, ensuring the wine remained concealed within my robe as I hopped into his room through the window.

"Have you ever had a drink?" I asked, revealing the wine from my robe.