Chapter 5: Project: VEU

"The experimental droids are working excellently, sir." BX-44 reported to Quanos. "Good, everything is going as planned. Soon, I will own the most elite military in the Galaxy." Quanos said to BX-44. "The Voss independence movement will be the event to break the grip of the Empire and Rebel Alliance. It shall be glorious." "Sir, are you sure this is the only way to protect ourselves?" BX-44 asked Quanos as they overlooked the factory, busy making VEU's. "I find your lack of faith disturbing. But, I do see where your worries originate. You see the VEU's as the next Republic Clones disaster. I see them as tools, ready to be used to free Voss of its impending doom." Quanos replied. "Imagine, 1000 betas of you and Lokton, fighting for freedom of the clutches of imperialism. The Voss Extermination Units will be the superior soldier. Unwavering loyalty, no emotions to overcome, agile and quick-reflexed, nothing can stop them." BX-44 took this in with reluctance. "You are right, sir. But what about the rebels? Do we not fight both for the same cause? Why wipe them out?" BX-44 asked with a hint of defiance in his voice. "You foolish droid. The rebels seek to re-establish the old republic! If that passes, planets will continue fighting amongst themselves! The republic was spineless then, and will be again. The VEU's are the only answer to Galactic sovereignty. They will destroy the empire, rebels and all crime syndicates from all the planets. And if you do not stand with me, you will be de-commissioned." BX-44 took a step back. "No need to go to such drastic measures, sir. I know my place. My deepest apologies." BX-44 muttered nervously. "Good...good. You better. Your doubts in my command could land you in serious trouble. You are dismissed." BX-44 nodded and left the factory observing room. "The republic cannot be re-established." Quanos thought to himself. He walked over to his desk and pulled out his storage drawer. He stared at an old lightsaber. "They did not protect us then, and they wouldn't now. They betrayed us, and for that, they've earned my everlasting hatred." Closing the drawer, Quanos retuned to the observation window, feeling more depressed than he had before.