School Days (Part 3)

As I walk through the halls of CorSec academy I see Paytan again, this time with a bunch of other rich kids. I try to to walk past them without them noticing me, I fail.

Rich Kid 1: Hey there, kid, what are you wearing? It's so, not trendy, not stylish, it looks bad.
Y/N: We do practicality over style, Risto.
Paytan stays nervously silent.
Rich Kid 2: What does Risto mean, you fucking peasant?
Y/N: Aristocrat, you should have been taught basic in school.
Paytan: Let's all calm down a bit-
Rich Kid 3: Quiet down, Skemar, just because you're a non human noble doesn't mean you're better than us.
Y/N: Wait, non-human?
Rich Kid 1: Yeah, she's a Zandian princess.
Now that I think about it, she has some pointy ears
Y/N: Whatever, I'm outta here.

I walk off and Paytan walks with me. I think she wants me to say something, I won't humor her. We walk in silence until she finally breaks it.

Paytan: I'm sorry I didn't speak up.
Y/N: It's whatever.
Paytan: I'm sorry that I didn't tell you that I'm a non human.
Y/N: I don't care, I'm not a racist prick.
Paytan: O-Okay, good to know. How about I make up my silence?
Y/N: Buy me dinner, all will be forgiven.
Paytan: Okay, I know a good place.
Y/N: Let's go then.
Paytan: W-Wait, we're going now? I need to get ready.
I mentally face palm.
Y/N: Yes, we're going now, I can't even get ready, I have no rich person clothes.
Paytan: Well, I'll let you borrow some from my brother
Y/N: Alright, but I'm not getting ready.
Paytan: Fine, we'll go to a more low-key establishment
Y/N: Alright, I'm fine with that, lead the way, Paytan.
Paytan: Okay, Derken.
Y/N: Call me Derk.

She just nods and keeps walking. I end up feeling almost happy when she smiles at me on the walk, a very strange feeling to me, I can't say that I dislike it. While we walk it actually gets dark out, illuminated only by the streetlights, we walk through the roads. When we make it to the place I look up at the big sign that says in neon letters The Foolish Saber Bar. When we walk in it's really nice, low key lighting, live band, plenty of people with more expensive clothes and accessories, like Paytan, and plenty of people dressed more like me, practically, and easier to blend in with.

Y/N: This place is really nice.
Paytan: It's where my parents used to take me when we wanted to get away from fame and political nonsense.
Y/N: Yeah, I'm still pretty surprised that you're royalty.
Paytan: Yup, princess of Zand and all that.

I just nod and take a seat at a booth, she sits across from me. A waiter walks over and gives us our menus.

Waiter: Take your pick of the food and drink, Princess, Skemar, and whoever you are, no offense of course.
He'll know who I am soon.
Y/N: None taken, Paytan, you pick for me.
Paytan: Okay, I think you'll like what I pick.
Y/N: Oookay?
She looks up at the waiter, who has been sitting patiently.
Paytan: Could you get us deep fried Nuna legs, with a side of Colo Claw fish?
Waiter: Yes. What will you two be having to drink?
Paytan: Two Senators.
Waiter: Yes, ma'am.

She doesn't seem to notice as I look befuddled at her. I've recently also been befuddled by the case, I've been given access to the autopsy and the crime scene, but the murderer covered their tracks well.

Paytan speaks up to ask me something.
Paytan: Derk, I need your help.
Y/N: With what?
Paytan: I want to track down the murderer, I snuck into the crime scene and took a recording device with a lead on it.
I somehow manage to conceal my anger, no, I reallly shouldn't be so angry.
Y/N: I'll help.
I smile at her and a strange shade of pink lightly dusts her cheeks.
Paytan: A few of my friends will be helping.
Y/N: Which friends, Paytan?
Paytan: Well, the ones from back there, they're usually super sweet, but we've all been stressed out by the combat exam today.
Oh right, the one I breezed through.
Y/N: I suppose you're right.
Paytan: I knew you would understand.

I just nod at her, then our food comes, I start digging in, pro tip: don't ever refuse deep fried Nuna legs, or Colo Claw fish for that matter.
The drink was amazing, can't lie, it was the first time I've ever had alcohol though.

We walk with each other to campus. Where we would then walk to her dorm room.

Y/N: Well, seems like the end of the walk for me.
Paytan: It does, doesn't it? One last thing, to end our dinner.

She leans over to me, and presses her lips to mine. I'm dumbfounded and can't react, so she breaks the kiss and leaves into her dorm. I realize that I'm just standing there like an idiot and walk off to my dorm.