Chapter Five: Halting The Haze (2005)

Votes and comments are appreciated!

The moon was high in the sky by the time Satoru and Emi approached the downtown district.

Curfew at Jujutsu Tech was in one hour, yet Satoru couldn't say he was really stressed about not making it. Him missing curfew wasn't anything new. He used to have Suguru or Shoko cover for him until Yaga caught onto their bad lying. Another discipline hour surely awaits him tomorrow!—anddd his mentee by default, even if she doesn't know it yet. But, hey, maybe if he wracks up enough trouble on her innocent record, Yaga will see he ain't a good influence and give away his mentee to someone else. Heh, see? Satoru thinks of everything. God, he's so smart.

He hummed musingly to himself as he pulled out his flip phone and sent Suguru a text about his whereabouts, feeling the shoulder of his mentee brush against him as they walked through the brightly lit city. They've only walked out of jujutsu territory and took the bus here, but already Satoru felt the effects of having a bratty little shadow on his heels.

She twirled her own red razor phone around in her fingers, remaining close to Satoru's side as she took in the unfamiliar downtown for the first time. "I can't believe you dragged me here to buy you new shoes, Gojo. All because you cried about me getting a little water on yours-"

"Ummm, I did not cry-" He held a sassy hand in front of her face to shut up.

She rolled her eyes in annoyance and pushed his hand away, flipping her hair off her shoulder. "If I'm buying, I get to pick the shoes." She said, causing Satoru to scoff.

"Heh, you?" He continued to text with one hand. "No way. Look at what you're wearing?"

He pointed to a spot on her uniform shirt and Emi looked down at it in confusion. "I'm literally wearing the same thing as you, idiot-"

Satoru quickly flicked her on the nose when she looked down, causing Emi to flinch in surprise and groan knowingly. Heh. An age old trick that Utahime fell for all the time.

"Yeah, but I wear it better, idiot." He cheesed with a wink, chuckling lightly when Emi shoved him in the shoulder.

"Said no one ever." She huffed with sass, scooting closer to Satoru when strangers began bumping into them from both sides.

Satoru hummed and grabbed her wrist, dragging her out of the middle of the road so they had more room to breathe. They stopped in front of a ramen shop and he flipped his phone closed and put it away, turning to Emi with a smirk. "Okay, well as your mentor, I, like, demand to pick out the shoes I want. So, there." He gloated with crossed arms.

Heh, did ya hear that? He 'demanded.' He likes the sound of that. Maybe he could get used to this whole 'mentor' thing if that's what it's about.

Emi raised a brow of defiance, looking him up and down before breaking out into a chastising laugh. "Oh, hell no." She dismissed, wiping a humorous tear from the corner of her eye.

And, Satoru's cheeky smile got bigger, 'cause he could sense the annoyance in her voice, rocking back and forth on his heels before leaning into her. "Heh. What?-" He murmured closely, almost brushing her forehead with his mouth before she lightly shoved him back.

"That's not how this is gonna work." The Hasegawa girl rained on his parade, causing Satoru to shrug and blow her off.

Nah, he always gets what he wants. That's not about to change with this girl. He just needs to let her know how it is. How it's gonna be.

"Wellll, it actually is 'cause you don't really have a say." He said matter of factly, biting down on his bottom lip before looking her up and down. "You're under my control, remember-"