Chapter Thirty: Party Girl (2006)

"Eyes closed."

The felt eyeliner tip dragged across Emi's lid before Shoko's unsteady hand jolted. "Oop." The brown haired girl cringed lazily at the smudge.

Music from Shoko's radio illuminated the atmosphere of her dorm room. It smelled like cheap perfume and cherry chapstick, and that was as close to her own age that Emi had ever seen the healer.

"What happened?" The Hasegawa girl creaked an eye open, the same eye that was now smudged heavily with black eyeliner—unbeknownst to her.

Shoko pursed her lips in contemplation for the damage, licking the pad of her thumb before bringing it towards Emi's eye.

"Ohhh, you know..." She trailed off vaguely, attempting to wipe away the smudge of black before Emi immediately leaned away.

"Ewww. Are you really pulling the 'mom wipe' on me right now?" She asked with a chuckle before Shoko gently gripped her cheeks and held her still.

"Your fault for trusting me with your makeup." She mused, wetting her thumb with her tongue again. "Now...come to mama."

The two girls giggled as Shoko wiped away the messy eyeliner, and Emi couldn't help but beam brighter than the sun. This was the closest to normal she's felt in months. Seven months to be exact.

Her normal died when Akana did.

And while going out and doing makeup should definitely be the least of her priorities right now, she needed this. She needed to feel normal. Because she really liked....normal.

"I thought it would be fun to do each other's makeup tonight." Emi reminisced on her past with a smile. "My old friends and I would always do stuff like this before we went out. It's part of the whole experience, you know."

Shoko hummed, seeming intrigued even if unable to relate, "Sounds cool. It's usually Utahime Senpai who does mine whenever a special occasion strikes."

The Hasegawa girl furrowed her brows in question. "Who?"

Shoko grabbed the lip liner pencil from her cluttered desk, along with a stale looking lollipop that had halfway disintegrated in its plastic wrapper.

"Ah, you haven't met Utahime yet." She said, tearing the plastic off the candy with her teeth before sticking it in her mouth. "She's great. Our upper, upper classman before she graduated to a second grade sorcerer. She can't stand Gojo."

Emi snickered slyly, trying to suppress her smirk as Shoko lined her lips, "Then I like her already."

Shoko chuckled, grabbing a blotting strip before pressing it to Emi's lips with too much force. "Pucker." She said.

Emi did before Shoko tossed the blotting strip aside, letting out a small whistle as she assessed the final look. "God, you're hot." She said, raising a brow coyly with her next words. "I see why those idiots can't take their eyes off you."

Emi wished she could play clueless to which 'idiots' Shoko was referring to. But, there were only two idiots she really knew around here that weren't dead yet. Yeah, it's bleak.

"Ah, what?" She laughed a little uneasily, distracting herself in Shoko's mirror to fix her hair. "No way. Satoru and Suguru are just helping me train."

The healer blew a small raspberry from her lips, hovering over Emi in the mirror to unbutton her own top another notch. "Yeah, you know how many other people they helped 'train?'" She asked, making a big zero with her fingers.

Emi groaned lightly and rolled her eyes at Shoko's insinuation causing the girl to shrug knowingly. Between her low cut top and the cigarette she had, you'd never know she was a high schooler. She seemed rebellious, and Emi tended to be drawn to trouble.