Chapter Twenty: Real (2005)

A/N: votes and comments are appreciated so I know how ur liking the book :') <3

"Okay. Did you feel that?" Shoko asked, pressing her hands to Emi's abdomen with vapors of reverse cursed energy swirling around them.

Emi remained lying on the medical table, looking at the ceiling lights perplexedly as a small pinch of Shoko's reversed technique pinched the space between her ribs.

"Uhhh. Yeah, good job." She grinned, thinking her words would be encouraging.

But, Shoko's shoulders fell and the girl let out a long, drawn out sigh, letting the red glow quickly die down from her hands. "Nooo. You weren't supposed to feel it. A couple more seconds and I would have probably vaporized your insides."

"Ah, well don't worry. The people pleaser in me will just lie and bleed out next time so you can feel validated." Emi zipped her lips together teasingly, causing Shoko to chuckle.

"Thank you. Aghhhh, just makes it hard to learn when you're the only person who can teach yourself." She pouted, flipping cluelessly through the medical textbook on the table. "What did they do before me, you know?"

Emi pursed her lips and shrugged. "Die." She suggested, causing Shoko to nod lazily.

"I mean, yeahhh."

She flipped to another page of her textbook and quickly scanned the contents before turning back to Emi. "Okay, I need to lift your shirt higher." She uttered in focus.

Emi hummed and relaxed as Shoko shrugged her uniform shirt all the way up past her chest, displaying the entirety of her bra. The infirmary was cold, bringing goosebumps to her skin.

A small knock to the open door caused the two girls to jump before that familiar voice filled the room. "Knock, knock." Satoru chimed out.

Shoko groaned and shielded Emi's exposed body with her own. "Gojo, you perv. Get out." She huffed, not even looking back at the boy as she continued working.

"What? Whyyy? I'm totally not looking." He said unconvincingly, waltzing into the room anyways. "Besides, I can't leave. I need to talk to Em-i about something really important. Like really important."

Emi rolled her eyes at his dramatics and met Satoru's gaze over Shoko's shoulder, watching the way he quickly looked away when he realized she really wasn't dressed. For as loud and obnoxious as he tended to be, he was surprisingly respectful when it mattered—eh, sometimes.

"It's alright." Emi said, wincing when she felt another pinch from Shoko. "I think I need a break anyways. Kinda feels like you're killing me more at this point—and I mean that in the most supportive, encouraging, validating way possible."

With a heavy breath of exertion, Shoko finally powered down her technique, assessing the new line of bruises along Emi's stomach with false confidence.

"We're totally making progress." She pursed her lips, instinctively giving Emi's stomach a pat and making the girl wince. "One last thing before I go."

Reaching into her pockets, Shoko pulled out her pack of cigarettes before sliding one out of the holder, handing it to Emi like one would hand a kid some candy. "Don't spoil your dinner." Shoko teased her like a child, causing Satoru to facepalm.

"Aw. Instead of a lollipop like you get after a doctor's visit, she gave me a cigarette." Emi feigned sentimentality, pressing her hand to her chest.

Shoko packed up her school bag as Satoru took a seat in her stool, plucking the cigarette out of Emi's fingers nonchalantly. "Ah, Shoko. Trying to poison the youth of tomorrow. How dare you?" He pocketed the cigarette with a click of his tongue.