Chapter Sixteen: Priceless (2005)

The clouds were slowly rolling in front of the Tokyo sun as the three first year sorcerers approached the downtown district.

"Alright. Sensei Yaga said the two lower level curses should be in this area. Satoru's pretty good about sensing them, so it shouldn't take long." Suguru explained, causing the white haired boy to chuckle gloatingly.

"Hah, got that right. This ain't nothing but child's play—and speaking of child—Ay, Suguru." He said, cupping his mouth towards Suguru for secrecy, yet still speaking at an obnoxiously loud volume. "I think we should set some ground rules. With The Kid."

Emi raised a brow of annoyance as she walked directly behind the two. "You mean the kid who's one month older than you?" She retorted at Satoru, forced to stop abruptly when he turned around to face her.

"Ohhh, didn't you hear? That month is actually no longer relevant since you were born in it. So moving on." He sassed, and Emi was certain if he had long hair, he'd be flipping it off his shoulder like a mean girl right now.

Instead, he lugged a heavy arm around his best friend, barely glancing back at Emi to ensure she wasn't following behind too closely. She was. And Satoru knew that.

"First thing, if she starts running her mouth, or annoying us—or breathing too loudly—and she's already done all three—no one would know if we fed her to the curse—ow!" He complained when Emi kicked him in the butt, stumbling over-dramatically down the sidewalk.

"That sounds like more of a death threat than a rule." Emi crossed her arms, smirking at the white haired boy mischievously. "And if that's the game we're playing here, then I want to set some rules of my own."

"Ah? You? Please, you have no power here. I'm your responsible, strict, totally unrelenting mentor." Satoru nagged before his attention was quickly diverted. "Oooo, lemonade."

He brushed past Suguru and Emi to the confection stand parked outside a shoe shop, leaving the two in the dust as he began rattling off all the things he wanted to the merchant. Suguru simply snorted and kept walking, causing Emi to follow him hesitantly.

"Don't worry, he'll catch up. He always does this on our missions. He gets sidetracked and buys a bunch of things..." Suguru chuckled before Satoru returned and dumped a pile of items in his arms. "Anddd then makes me hold them."

"Well, that's the great thing about her." Satoru gestured to Emi, plopping a goodie bag atop her head. "Now, there's two of you. Which means, plenty of hands to hold my things."

"Just like a little Disney princess." Emi feigned sweetness, unable to see in front of her when Satoru stacked another bag in her arms.

"Blah, blah, blahhh. Complain all ya want, you two. But, Suguru, I got you more of that boring herbal tea you've been drinking lately. And for youuu, Em-i..." He enunciated her name, plucking the goodie bag off the top of her head.

Emi watched Satoru rummage through the bag next to her, expecting the gift of another insult, or nothing, knowing him. "What? You finally found a way to poison me?" She asked half jokingly.

"Mm. Not yet, but I'm working on that." He said, pulling out a little box. "For now, I got you these."

Satoru took the bags out of her arms so she could take the item, watching her study it closely. Much like touching, gift giving was another part of his love language. It wasn't something he actually discovered until he left the Gojo clan, because he was spoiled as everyone said.

He was always the one getting things. Not hugs, or friends, or that sorta thing. But, he did get a lot of nice kimonos....jewelry...money. All the things he'd ever need, right?