Chapter 5: An unexpected multiversal find

After escaping the fallen trio ATL found himself in white void with no one in sight. ATL continued walking through the white void, he allowed himself a moment of respite. Seating himself on the floor, he chuckled at the thought of being somewhat out of shape not having visited the gym and having some guilty pleasure in some pizza. The memory of pulling out Horror's eye crossed his mind, prompting a shiver down his spine. Pushing the unsettling thought aside, he got up and began to walk again, humming a familiar tune from Grillby's jukebox back in his own timeline. The melody brought a nostalgic smile to his face, even though it was laced with a hint of sorrow.

Hours passed by as ATL kept walking, the fatigue gradually setting in. He reminded himself of the promise he made to himself - to keep the memories of his friends alive, no matter what. His determination gave him the strength to push forward, even though he was growing increasingly hungry. He joked about his magical "stomach" urging him for a "bone meal," the pun livening up his "spirits" briefly. However, amidst his lighthearted banter with himself, ATL realized he was unable to access his menu to return. He was wary of going back anyway, considering the threat posed by Dust and Killer, who were still alive and dangerous. With that in mind, he pressed on, determined to find some semblance of safety in this strange and unpredictable multiverse. Fatigue began to take its toll on ATL, making his steps heavier with each passing moment. Eventually, he noticed a familiar figure in the distance, a skeleton. Hope surged within him as he recognized the presence of another being, and he cautiously made his way towards this new figure.

Drawing closer, ATL could see that it was indeed a skeleton, much like himself but bigger. Despite the exhaustion and tension he felt, he managed a cautious smile and called out to the skeleton. "hey there, pal. mind if i join you?" he asked, his tone a mixture of weariness and hope. He approached with a hint of trepidation, unsure of who this skeleton was and what his intentions might be. As he walked closer, he could make out more details. 

The skeleton had a nonchalant aura about him, as if he was used to the peculiarities of this multiverse. "name's sans, sans the skeleton" he introduced himself with a wink, keeping a reasonable distance as he spoke. "just trying to find my bearings in this mess. What about you?" he inquired, his curiosity overriding the exhaustion he felt. It was the first time he had encountered another being since his encounter with the trio of alternates. For a moment, he allowed himself to feel a glimmer of hope. Perhaps this encounter would lead to a connection, someone who could shed light on his predicament or simply provide a moment of companionship in this vast and confusing space.

As ATL cautiously approached the skeleton figure, he soon realized that it was none other than Papyrus, albeit with a distinct appearance that included a sweater similar to his own. When their eyes met, a mixture of surprise and recognition flashed between them. ATL's voice trembled as he introduced himself, "P-paps, is i-it you...?". Papyrus, (the Disbelief Papyrus from another timeline), responded with a similar mixture of joy and hope, "Sans, brother is it you?" In an instant, Papyrus got up from where he had been sitting and started running towards ATL. ATL matched his pace, and as they came together, they embraced each other tightly, laughter bubbling from both of them. The laughter eventually faded, replaced by a somber realization that they were not their original counterparts. Despite the familiarity they felt with each other, they were, in essence, strangers from different timelines who had lost their own brothers. The shared sadness between them was palpable. In a moment of vulnerability, Papyrus began to sob, and ATL held him closer, offering a comforting presence for the grief they both shared. Papyrus found solace in having someone to lean on, to share his sorrow with, even if it wasn't his original brother. Their embrace was a small comfort in the midst of the vast multiverse.

Eventually, as their tears began to subside, ATL gently withdrew from the hug, his own soul heavy with emotion. With a tender smile, Papyrus looked into ATL's eyes and spoke with sincerity, "I know you're not my Sans, but, maybe you can be my brother. I'm s-sorry it's okay if you don't want to, I understand." ATL's response was immediate, his voice warm and reassuring, "papyrus, i may not be your original brother, but that doesn't mean we can't be family. I'd be honored to be your brother." The bond between them was born not from shared genetics, but from shared experiences, empathy, and the willingness to offer support in a world that seemed full of chaos. With a nod of understanding, Papyrus smiled through his lingering tears. In this uncertain and confusing multiverse, ATL and DB Papyrus had found a connection that transcended timelines. As they stood together, they began to understand that even in the face of loss and adversity, they could still find a sense of belonging and companionship, creating their own unique brotherly bond.