13

An hour later, Nico awoke to Kayla gently shaking him.

"Nico, wake up, we're here for you, you're safe."

Nico realized he had been back in Tartarus with the drachanea attacking. Tears were once again running down his face.

The curtain slid back and there was Will, the morning sun shining behind his head, almost as if he was wearing a crown of light.

"Oh great, you're here," Kayla greeted him. "Nico was having a nightmare. I've just woken him up."

"Thanks Kayla, I'll sit with him. I brought breakfast for the morning crew, do you mind dropping it off in the kitchenette?" He handed her a paper bag.

"Not at all. Take your time. Most of our patients are still sleeping."

Kayla slipped out and Will climbed up and lay down next to Nico. He wrapped his arm under Nico's shoulders and Nico rested his head on Will's chest. Will smelled fresh and clean.

Will didn't say anything, just laid beside Nico until their hearts once again were in sync. Every so often he kissed the top of Nico's head.

"It's the drachanae," Nico finally said. "They say they know about my bringing Hazel back, and they want my life in exchange." He shuddered.

"Let them try," Will growled. "If they show up, they don't know what will be waiting for them. They certainly won't last long in the mortal world with the crew we have here ready to defend you."

Nico squeezed Will in thanks. Then he drifted off into a much more peaceful sleep.